Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 14-07-2009, 13:17   #1
gaiusc
New to the board

Default Security of bike lockups at commuter stations

As folks can see from my limited posting history, I use the train between Heuston and Sallins but in the opposite direction to the heavy usage.

As I can't take my bike on the train, I came up with a different idea. I put one banger of a bike at Sallins station and cycle my own bike to and from Heuston. My bike was locked in Sallins at 7pm on Sunday for me to collect the following morning. I arrived in Sallins the next morning only to find that the banger was gone, presumably stolen during the night.

I know that Irish Rail don't want to become responsible for the well-being of our belongings but surely they have some sort of security at their stations? If people can just drive into a station and remove all locked bikes, then what other damage/vandalism could be done to the station itself?
gaiusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-07-2009, 13:57   #2
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Does Heuston have a secure bike parking facility?

It is such a pity that bikes can't be taken on off peak commuter services (I have sometimes seen people bring them on Sunday Maynooth services though).

I've seen people carry huge surfboards on trains but a bicycle is a no-no unless on an inter city train (and even only then with a good fight from ourselves http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/bikes.php)

I wonder what the official reason for banning them on off peak commuter services is?
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-07-2009, 15:19   #3
plant43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
I wonder what the official reason for banning them on off peak commuter services is?
There is nowhere suitable to secure them on most commuter trains. This is fixable, of course, but comes at the expense of seats/standing room.
plant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-07-2009, 16:17   #4
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plant43 View Post
There is nowhere suitable to secure them on most commuter trains. This is fixable, of course, but comes at the expense of seats/standing room.
Generally people with bikes understand that displacing people on peak services with bicycles doesn't work. However, it might work off-peak and counter-peak.
Unread 15-07-2009, 12:19   #5
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

I'm in Brussels currently and the metro carriages here have areas reserved for cyclists to stand with their bikes.

No reason why on off-peak / weekend commuter services bikes couldn't be accommodated with users standing with them.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-07-2009, 13:27   #6
drumcondra commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
I'm in Brussels currently and the metro carriages here have areas reserved for cyclists to stand with their bikes.
Yes Mark I have seen those designated spots as well and no one batted an eye lid or made awkward noises when someone came on to the metro carriage with a full size bike. Another case of not trusting the public to do the right thing in the Irish case I think.
drumcondra commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-07-2009, 22:04   #7
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

I spent a week in Brussels and I never saw a overly busy carriage anyway.