Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 26-03-2008, 20:39   #1
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Default Can't buy a ticket

We already know that at unstaffed stations or stations with no facility open from which to buy a ticket you can board a train and buy a ticket at the earliest opportunity, and at staffed stations you don't have any excuse for not getting a ticket. But what if it's possible to buy a ticket, but not the ticket you want?

Examples:
  • If there is a vending machine but no ticket office active and:
    • You want a Faircard/Weekender/family ticket
    • You want a monthly ticket
    • You want a ticket to a station that isn't on the machine (e.g. Cork to Wexford)
  • You don't have enough money to buy the ticket you want and the station doesn't accept cards
  • The ticket office guy doesn't know how to issue the ticket you want
  • You want to buy a Faircard/Weekender card at the station but the station doesn't have any

They've made this very simple in the UK — you just buy a ticket that allows you to make part of your journey and then pay the difference on the train or on arrival, or in some cases buy a Permit to Travel which involves paying a part of your fare in coins and getting a voucher which states the station you boarded at, again this is counted against the cost of your ticket.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-03-2008, 07:57   #2
Terrontress
Regular Poster

I have, in the past, taken the train from Donabate to Connolly when the office has been closed. Upon arrival the seller has tried to sell me a ticket from the yellow book and I've told him that I'm after a weekly and not a single and he has directed me to the tvm.

Permit to travel is more like a permit to chance your arm! One of the most common journeys I take in the UK is from Tulse Hill on a Sunday evening and the ticket office is always closed. I am well within my rights to pay 5p and then only pay if asked for a ticket on board. I always have a tfl zone card from earlier in the day but you can see that permit to travel is a win / win situation.
Terrontress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-03-2008, 13:18   #3
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrontress View Post
I am well within my rights to pay 5p and then only pay if asked for a ticket on board.
Solution there: set the Permit price at the ticket price at the second cheapest fair.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote