Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-05-2011, 17:58   #1
ThomasJ

Default Local Dublin 15 Article with minister Varadkar

The local dublin 15 newspaper, the community voice did an interview with Leo Varadkar post being getting the Transport spot.

it can be found here
http://www.communityvoice.ie/pages/CV161/CV161n03.htm

one key quote here relating to public transport incl maynooth line
Quote:
What are his priorities for the local area?

“Getting Hansfield rail station opened is a big priority for me and also to improve the services around all the local stations. Another thing will be the removal of the level crossings. I am confident that most of them will be done in the next five years. Some of them may be complicated but there is money in the budget at the moment to remove the level crossings and that would make a big difference.

“The money is in the current capital budget and I will know by September if it is still there for the next capital budget. It’s not up to me entirely as it is a cabinet decision and finance will have to sign off on it but I intend that the money will be there for these works.

“Another thing would be the re-signalling of the line. When it is finished next year, it will allow for additional rail services to the area. There isn’t much of a case for additional services during the day because they’re running empty much of the time but definitely at peak time there is a case for the additional services.

“The bus side of things is going to be a lot trickier because the subsidy is being reduced. They’ve already delivered some savings from Network Direct which has its fans and detractors. Those who use Blanchardstown village services are discommoded by it but other areas have actually benefited from it.

It is more efficient and it is saving money and saving time. The problem is that when you start cutting the subsidies next year and the year after what do you do next? You either have to start taking off routes or reducing routes and that’s going to be a big dilemma
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote