Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 15-06-2009, 08:22   #1
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Default [Article] Rail Bus for lightly used lines

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...248849959.html

Quote:
IRISH RAIL is considering replacing the Waterford to Limerick Junction services with a “rail bus” – a hybrid vehicle which can run on road and rail.
They should order one for the WRC too...
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-06-2009, 14:19   #2
dermo88

A lifting train for North of Athenry would be the only thing I'd order for the WRC
dermo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-06-2009, 19:38   #3
Standing Passenger
New to the board

Look Lads, hundreds of people look forward to an improved quality of life on their daily commute on the WRC and will pay for the privalidge just like their friends in the East and South. So give the snide remarks a break and propose lifting railway tracks in your own neighbourhood if you want to see tracks being ripped up.

Lets have no hard feelings but the continuous berating of the WRC is getting a bit tiresome on an otherwise excellent and valuable website.

It saddens me to see a site devoted to railusers carry such vindictive contributions towards other railusers aspiring to promote rail transport.
Standing Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-06-2009, 21:08   #4
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

A rail bus? Give me a break. Cop yourselves on Irish Rail
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-06-2009, 23:26   #5
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

How about some of these for the WRC and the Limerick Junction/Rosslare line. Cheaper than a railbus and no fuel required.

www.happytokorea.com/information/railbike.php
PLUMB LOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-06-2009, 13:55   #6
dermo88

Standing Passenger

We will see if hundreds are using it in droves as you say. I hope that Limerick to Galway is a success. Just checked that this is also your 3rd post, and considering this site has been around since 2006 in its current format, and has had paying members since 2005, may I ask?

1. How come there is a comment now about the so called "continuous WRC bashing". There have been more than 4 years to engage on this. Unless of course, there is a new identity from other identities, which has taken place previously on this site in relation to this issue.

2. If the first post is on 14th June 2009, then how is one aware of the so called "continuous WRC bashing"?

3. It took only one line to cause controversy. Nevertheless, I need to repeat it

"A lifting train for the line NORTH of Athenry is the only thing I'd order for the WRC".

Thats not vindictive. Its a rational comment based on pages of reports, and thousands of comments read and made over the years since 2003. In light of other services which are defective, is it appropriate to expand in areas which will be even more inadequate than existing services such as

(a) Waterford to Rosslare Harbour.
(b) Waterford to Limerick Junction.
(c) Ballybrophy to Limerick.

In an ideal world, yes, proper expansion would take place, but it is not feasible, and is not likely to be feasible for many years. Scarce resources need to be allocated wisely. This is the reason for my reaction, I hope it is respected and understood. I can only hope that years of painstaking work on getting projects to succeed such as the Phoenix Park Tunnel, Galway to Limerick, Cork to Midleton, amongst others is not overcome by opposition to one project whose benefits are questionable at best.

Regards

Diarmuid

Last edited by dermo88 : 18-06-2009 at 16:39. Reason: Request to be more polite
dermo88 is offline   Reply With Quote