Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-01-2010, 17:17   #41
evert
New to the board

This might shed some light: http://www.airappz.com/2010/01/airap...h-rail-trains/
evert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 17:29   #42
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I still can't take this seriously

No list of customers
No details of the technology used

Which raised serious questions, every other provider is upfront with the details. Not to mention most already have UK rail standards approval, which directly transfers to Ireland. Normally people are more than eager to produce a mountain of paperwork to prove.

Less media fluff and spin, details are what are needed, Fleetconnect and Icomera have no problem with providing solid case studies (and tech specs on hardware) as do the other providers plus we can try them out and we have with positive results.

Passengers don't want to be guinea pigs for unproven tech they want something that works.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 20:52   #43
evert
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
I still can't take this seriously

No list of customers
No details of the technology used

Which raised serious questions, every other provider is upfront with the details. Not to mention most already have UK rail standards approval, which directly transfers to Ireland. Normally people are more than eager to produce a mountain of paperwork to prove.

Less media fluff and spin, details are what are needed, Fleetconnect and Icomera have no problem with providing solid case studies (and tech specs on hardware) as do the other providers plus we can try them out and we have with positive results.

Passengers don't want to be guinea pigs for unproven tech they want something that works.
Excuse me you tell me to put more information online and then suggest "less media fluff & spin"? I sense double standards.

I have been in this business a whole lot longer than any of the other companies you list. If you want to see some kind of proof for that you can have a look at my professional profile or just use Google. You can also ask some of the other providers in the Irish wireless industry who will happily enough confirm that we know our stuff.

Again, we are in the business of providing 1st class public wifi *not* big spanlgy websites. We have had extensive discussions with Irish Rail who are fully aware of our credentials. Based on the discussions & the trail they have decided to invite us for a trail. If that's not enough for you than i do not know what will be.

Also passengers will not be "guinea pigs", we use standard wifi protocols and the concept of a "captive portal" has been used for years. The only thing we do different is that we provide LBS content and services via that portal. Another thing that we do different is that we won't be charging for the provided Internet access. Hardly "guinea pigs" territory is it now?

Evert Bopp.
evert is offline   Reply With Quote