Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Luas Customer Service Issues > Luas Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-03-2016, 20:44   #61
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

On boards, there is a lot of idle speculation about going all-out and various rows going on about whether or not the Luas drivers deserve their increase and if they are right to strike. I reckon everyone will have their own opinion on this and it will be strongly held so an internet forum is hardly the place to discuss it.

I would say that I have not met a single person who would take the Luas drivers' side more than I do. It is difficult to see how an income that tops out around 45K is sufficient to enable a reasonable standard of living in a city where the average house costs nearly 7 times that figure but a lot of people seem to be able to manage it.

I can't see this ending terribly well for the drivers. They'll be doing extremely well to end up with more than 15% over the five years as the NTA won't be putting Transdev under much pressure to settle given the knock-on costs for the state transport operators. There is little or no public pressure for a settlement given the lack of public support for the strike.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2016, 23:56   #62
Jamie2k9

Would be interesting to see if another ballot was carried out by drivers now as losing the bonus and what appears to be 2 weeks pay will defiantly impact on some.

Like I expected a full shut down has not happened and I don't expect them either, they and the public have to much to lose from such a move.

It's also very good that politics cannot play any part in this, if only the same applied to the CIE group.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2016, 12:00   #63
Jamie2k9

Bus service every 10 minutes between 7am-7pm will be provided on 17 March on both lines and operate from P&R facilities.

One would expect the same on Easter weekend.
Unread 11-03-2016, 18:54   #64
Dublin13
Regular Poster

It's rare I used the LUAS, but twice this week I have and whilst there is no strike on, there certainly is smaller actions being taken by drivers on the dail basis, many colleagues who use the LUAS have seen an increase in LUAS bunching to the point where it is not uncommon to see several trams running head to tail with each other.

Also the last LUAS on the red line has been canceled from The Point for the last few days and in general drivers seem to be on a go slow.
Dublin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2016, 23:06   #65
Jamie2k9

Quote:
The National Bus and Rail Union has strongly criticised the "extraordinary" decision to hire in buses.

NBRU General Secretary Dermot O'Leary said there are no circumstances by which justification can be brought to bear on an employer arbitrarily deciding to supplant the role of its workers by using other workers.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0311/774081-luas-dispute/

Oh dear
Unread 14-03-2016, 11:03   #66
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
I would say that I have not met a single person who would take the Luas drivers' side more than I do. It is difficult to see how an income that tops out around 45K is sufficient to enable a reasonable standard of living in a city where the average house costs nearly 7 times that figure but a lot of people seem to be able to manage it.

I can't see this ending terribly well for the drivers.
well, they have every right to strike, and for once its a private company bearing the brunt (like cadbury's as well) but they never had a hope of the increases being bandied about, and in fact such demands are well out of kilter with what the NBRU would have looked for down the years. I'm not sure about today, but the wage of bus drivers and conductors was never mega, most would have lived in council houses which they may have bought out at cheap rates in the 80's and 90's. For them to try and get well out of that zone is a bit optimistic.
Unread 14-03-2016, 12:01   #67
Jamie2k9

Quote:
well, they have every right to strike, and for once its a private company bearing the brunt (like cadbury's as well) but they never had a hope of the increases being bandied about, and in fact such demands are well out of kilter with what the NBRU would have looked for down the years. I'm not sure about today, but the wage of bus drivers and conductors was never mega, most would have lived in council houses which they may have bought out at cheap rates in the 80's and 90's. For them to try and get well out of that zone is a bit optimistic.
Don't speak to soon, we shall see why the NBRU seek from IE when SIPTU demands are revealed.
Unread 14-03-2016, 18:55   #68
Jamie2k9

Talks tomorrow but bus services cancelled.

Transdev dropping the bus bomb appears to have worked and rather well, suspect there has been a major drop in the claim again as I can't see Transdev going back without it.
Unread 14-03-2016, 19:26   #69
James Howard

Meanwhile the poor sods depending on public transport to get into the parade are left high and dry again. It really is terrible the way it appears to be sacrilegious nowadays to try to get passengers to where they want to go in the event of a strike.

I remember a Bus Éireann strike about 20 years ago where they hired in loads of buses and there was no bother. I think there was a picket at Busaras but people were able to get buses on the street and it was all quite amicable.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-03-2016, 19:32   #70
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Meanwhile the poor sods depending on public transport to get into the parade are left high and dry again. It really is terrible the way it appears to be sacrilegious nowadays to try to get passengers to where they want to go in the event of a strike.

I remember a Bus Éireann strike about 20 years ago where they hired in loads of buses and there was no bother. I think there was a picket at Busaras but people were able to get buses on the street and it was all quite amicable.
Wouldn't surprise me if talks breakdown tomorrow or Wednesday they will operate the buses. It's not as if the bus operators will be doing anything else on Thursday.

Given Transdev are going back I think they are close to getting the increases they wanted as in 3-5%.
Unread 14-03-2016, 20:30   #71
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Don't speak to soon, we shall see why the NBRU seek from IE when SIPTU demands are revealed.
The train drivers have previously claimed parity with airline pilots.

The tram drivers want parity with with train drivers.

The bus drivers want parity with with tram drivers.
Unread 16-03-2016, 11:44   #72
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Some good news http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0316/775202-luas-pay-row/

The 2 revenue protection grades have agreed a deal
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-03-2016, 12:54   #73
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Further news coming in indicates the strike on 17th is off, normal service to operate.
Unread 16-03-2016, 13:16   #74
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The drivers have accepted a deal, the control room staff have yet to agree it would appear
Unread 16-03-2016, 13:22   #75
Jamie2k9

Reported drivers might get up to 17.5%....
Unread 16-03-2016, 13:52   #76
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Which is 3 times less than the demand made by SIPTU
Unread 16-03-2016, 16:35   #77
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

and about three times more than the management were publicly offering. trebles all round!!!
Unread 16-03-2016, 17:09   #78
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

No 6.5% bonus in 2016 to pay gets you back to what was on the table to start.

Badly played by SIPTU, once again the public are left stranded. There was never a need for any of this and they could have got 1-3% and kept the 2016 bonus and been better off and no strike.
Unread 16-03-2016, 18:01   #79
Jamie2k9

Quote:
No 6.5% bonus in 2016 to pay gets you back to what was on the table to start.

Badly played by SIPTU, once again the public are left stranded. There was never a need for any of this and they could have got 1-3% and kept the 2016 bonus and been better off and no strike.
Would appear the bonus might only be lost for Q1 of 2016, full pay details in link. 50,000 after 9 years how does that compare with IE?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0316/775202-luas-pay-row/

Curious to know how a control room who are on strike will enable normal service tomorrow. Perhaps extend that plan full time
Unread 18-03-2016, 22:33   #80
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Curious to know how a control room who are on strike will enable normal service tomorrow. Perhaps extend that plan full time
Some of them would be 'management', not 'staff' and other managers may be able to do cover.