Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 14-12-2007, 10:41   #1
Colm R
Regular Poster

Default [13-12-2007] Dart Northbound.

Last night, I arrived at Pearse street needing to go to Clontarf road.

Upon getting the platform, the PIS said the next train was far Malahide calling at Tara, Connolly, Clontarf Road, Howth Junction and Malahide.

I was delighted, with the platform packed, I knew the train wouldn't be too bad as the train didn't suit most people.

So in came the Dart, and I boarded. I was standing, but there was plenty of room. This was at about 18:28 last night. A French couple were talking next to me, (in French, which I don't really understand too well) - but the general gist of it was they thought they were on the wrong train.

I asked them were they ok, did they need help. He said he wanted to go to Connolly but was confused and can't see where Bre is on his map. I was confused by this, until I saw the onboard PIS. It said, "Next station Bre, this is the last stop".

I smiled and assured him, that after the next stop, which is Tara, you can get off at Connolly. Rightfully, he didn't seem to trust me - why would he. From his point of view, the National Rail Company is suppose to be correct. Anyway we pulled into Connolly, much to couples relief.

So then, as we made our usual slow departure out of Connolly and traditional stop at Fairview, for no apparent reason, I got thinking - this train is an exception. Its a Dart with an express from Clontarf Road to Howth Junction. Even if that element of the journey did not affect the tourists I encountered, it is still important that the onboard PIS display the correct information for a train that is not going to stop at a number of stations it would normally stop at.

So sure enough, we finally got an annoucement coming into Clontarf Road:

"This train will not stop Clontarf Road Howth Juntion, I repeat, this train will not stop Clontarf Road Howth Juntion"

Thats what he said. I understand it, you understand it. But its a good job that Ireland has a very few tourists and a low immigrant population who rarely use public transport!! *Tongue in cheek*
Colm R is offline   Reply With Quote