Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 14-09-2007, 17:14   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Ryan View Post
Latest rumour now is the 0600 Gorey to Sligo train is getting one of the new trains soon . Late October was said.
That would fit, but unlikely that the 06:00 Gorey Sligo will continue to operate in the new timetable, probably become 6:10 Gorey Maynooth

First set as yet to enter service and it won't be next Monday as we thought
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-09-2007, 22:58   #2
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
1. Most of Rosslare/Gorey services are linked to Dublin suburban services where the new regional/intercity railcars are not suited. So a new timetable is needed to introduce them. Gorey suburban services will remain with commuter railcars. There will be an extra 16:30 Connolly Gorey in the Autumn.
sorry to drag the commuter aspect in but I was talking to an IE employee recently and he wasn't sure that the maynooth/drogheda aspect of the rosslare services needed to be removed.

a few things about this possability:

The 18.30ish ex connolly is one of the busiest services on the rosslare line and quite often when is a 4-car 29000 service packed to the rafters. Therefore this should be a 2*3car 22000 set surely? if so as it kind of mtaches the seating capacity of a 8-car 29000 if not greater surely it could work with the 16.40 connolly-maynooth?

If the railcars continue to maynooth then it would free up the 2800s for extra services and not just for creating a new maynooth service as a result of the afternoon rosslare europort-maynooth service being dropped?

if the maynooth side of the journey is dropped where do they get the path for a new service? surely there is no space for a new service?

it doesn't need to hang around connolly taking up space

surely these railcars will still end up heading to the railcar depot in drogheda with the sligo railcars. if so would the evening rosslare-drogheda service continue?

what do you think?

Last edited by ThomasJ : 16-09-2007 at 23:21.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-09-2007, 00:53   #3
James Shields

Hmmm, the 8:25 Pearse-Drogheda (ex Roslare) could suddenly become a lot more attractive.

I think most of the servicing will be done in Port Laoise. I'm not sure if Drogheda is equipped to handle them, though it was where the first set were sent when they arrived.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-09-2007, 17:09   #4
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

I think this site mentioned at one stage that by the end of Transport 21 Gorey will be serviced by trains, 2 times an hour on Peak and hourly off peak.How is this possible when the line is single track from Bray southwards?I know there are passing loops along this stretch.However,this won't be enough for the proposed frequencies despite better signalling.I think doubling this track should be the next entry in IE's investment plans.For the new trains its a case of "all of that horse power and no room to gallop".Also,"2 trains an hour on peak and hourly off peak" till what time?The current 6:30 PM?Another thread in this forum mentioned that trains south of pearse are running at capacity.Surely some Bray/Greystones bound DARTs will have to be sacrificed in order to free up slots to acheive the proposed frequencies.For instance,don't do a 15:58 Connolly-Bray (ex Longford) on it and have it tightly squeezed between two DART services.Otherwise,they would end up going so slow.On that note,if it is going to be slow then it isn't in a mad rush.Therefore,it can aford to serve a few more stations instead of very slowy passing those stations.
paddyb180285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-09-2007, 22:52   #5
craigybagel
Regular Poster

Spoke to the guard coming up from Wicklow during the week he said latest IE plan is that rosslare will be LAST to get the 22s, and that Limerick was now first in line to get them?

Incidentally as far as i can tell the platforms on the line cant take 2x22k yet. Certainly Wicklow cant....
craigybagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-09-2007, 22:55   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

That mostly rubbish

The Rosslare hold up is due to the re-signaling, the new station in Rosslare and platform extensions as part of the signaling project, that should all be sorted by Easter

Sligo is first, date place and time

Staff at most have 2 week notice of any operational change
Unread 17-09-2007, 23:26   #7
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

I think Craigy has a point there. I know the new platforms here at Gorey can take 6 carrages of the current trains but aint the new carrages longer? That would make 6 of the new carrages longer than the new platforms.

I know Wicklow Enniscorthy Gorey and one platform at Rathdrum have being renewed but only accomadate the current 6 carrage trains. I honestly can not see IE rebuilding these platforms again so 3 new carrages look like the only option.

Ed
Edward Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-09-2007, 20:49   #8
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

The new trains went down to Rosslare today on a test run.
Edward Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-09-2007, 21:27   #9
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I saw a 22000 three-car set going northbound at Pearse yesterday evening marked out of service.

I don't think there's anything stopping IÉ running six-car 22000 sets down to Rosslare. If the platforms are too short, they'll just do the "please move forward to arrive safely on the platform" trick.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-09-2007, 21:38   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tralph View Post
I don't think there's anything stopping IÉ running six-car 22000 sets down to Rosslare. If the platforms are too short, they'll just do the "please move forward to arrive safely on the platform" trick.
Thats not allowed for any new train entering service as of this year, older trains are exempt

The new trains may however have selective door opening we don't know
Unread 27-11-2007, 17:23   #11
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Heh. Just came across this on the ASAI website, in relation to a complaint about online booking in January:

"They [IE] said that this is a service that Irish Rail are eager to offer to all customers as soon as possible and the new trains which will operate on the Dublin/Sligo line from early 2007 will allow the introduction of an online booking facility for that line."

Actually, hang on, that's not funny
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-12-2007, 00:18   #12
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Anyone know when the new 22000 trains can be expected to be seen on Rosslare? Mark G have you heard anything regards this. I heard it will be December '08 plse dont say this is true..
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-12-2007, 10:10   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It will be Dec 08 before all Rosslare services are 22k operated since it requires a timetable change but the lunchtime service to Rosslare and return should switch a lot sooner

Signaling upgrade is last two weeks of April