Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-12-2009, 11:07   #1
EnterpriseUser

Default enterprise ex Dublin December 27

The 1000 Enterprise left Dublin over twenty minutes late due to the engine arriving late.
No heat in the B carriage either. Still the staff are friendly and hot breakfast available: probably the only
service in Ireland or the UK with a full catering service. Generator vans from the Mark 3
sets are coming next year. Connolly station these days is positively cosmopolitan with a restaurant/bar, two coffee
shops and a news vendor. The station is clean and very accessible. Even the toilets
are much improved.
EnterpriseUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-12-2009, 14:19   #2
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterpriseUser View Post
probably the only
service in Ireland or the UK with a full catering service
Random Cork-Heuston trains do have proper meal services.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-12-2009, 15:11   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

But it was 30 minutes late into Belfast, punctuality and reliability effect 100% of passengers, few will have breakfast.

Not to mention failure to implement EU regulations, yes the Enterprise is truly great
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-12-2009, 16:15   #4
EnterpriseUser

Mark: agreed on punctuality; the engine to pull the train was late arriving! If the service was faster; more frequent and, most importantly, reliable then passenger usage would soar. In current weather conditions the bus has been slow. Breakfast is a bonus and definitely not on offer on any other IE services at the weekend!
EnterpriseUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-12-2009, 17:05   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Breakfast is/was offered on Saturday on all services carrying full catering facilities since Rail Gourmet took over. Its probably been withdrawn at this stage due to non existent take up

Unless you go first class its rather hard to eat on Enterprise, the dining car is somewhat lacking in seats and tables, unlike Dublin Cork where the dining car has first class sized tables.

The Enterprise service is an embarrassment, so slow that the RPSI have been able to match and improve on the 1947 2:15 timing with museum pieces to level with the standard time currently offered
Unread 30-12-2009, 04:31   #6
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

I guess the question is - where did the engine that brought in the set go?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-12-2009, 14:45   #7
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Breakfast is/was offered on Saturday on all services carrying full catering facilities since Rail Gourmet took over. Its probably been withdrawn at this stage due to non existent take up

Unless you go first class its rather hard to eat on Enterprise, the dining car is somewhat lacking in seats and tables, unlike Dublin Cork where the dining car has first class sized tables.

The Enterprise service is an embarrassment, so slow that the RPSI have been able to match and improve on the 1947 2:15 timing with museum pieces to level with the standard time currently offered

Trying to work out from your reply whether or not RUI has a position on the whole issue of rail catering or is it considered superflous like Fastrack, station staff, buildings etc?
PLUMB LOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-12-2009, 15:05   #8
tigger1962

I think rui position is on their website. My personal experience based on years of travel on most services in roi. The trolly service is as per usual fare. Overpriced. The catering carriage on the enterprise is one of the worst I seen. All stainless steel and hard to eat at
tigger1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-12-2009, 15:37   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Give it a break, fact is Rail Gourmet tried it and it didn't work out.

Official policy is to avoid use of on train catering due to high price levels, senior Rail Gourmet management have admitted quite publicly that things are too expensive. All said the service is better with a better range than what network catering managed

That said Enterprise is provided under a separate contract
Unread 30-12-2009, 16:22   #10
tigger1962

Personally speaking I found the service on the cork train better and a better selection on the trolly service! But then I only travel on the enterprise daily and can't really know what other catering is like on a daily basis.
Unread 30-12-2009, 23:26   #11
James Shields

The journey time on the Enterprise is ridiculous. The Dublin-Belfast bus service is almost as fast, comfortable, reliable, runs hourly 24 hours a day, and a fraction of the price. It's hard to see why anyone would still take the train.

The motorway makes the car journey very quick and easy, and will be even quicker once the last few stretches of single carriageway are removed from the A1.

I hope the Enterprise can be improved, but to compete with the motorway dependable journey times of around 90 mins are required, and it's hard to see that being achieved without extra tracks out of Dublin.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 10:20   #12
tigger1962

its sad to say this but the best service I've had on the northern line was when the malahide aquaduct was out of action... Purely because of the bus service using the m1 and port tunnel.

Now that newry is close to being bypassed and and as new stretches of the A1 open, the trip to belfast will be much faster and eventually leading to a much better bus service. I don't know how Irish Rail/Translink will be able to "compete" with this unless something radical is done. I know thanks to the recent Irish Rail timetable changes, I'll be switching to the bus for my morning journey soon.