Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-12-2011, 13:47   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default New Irish Rail Website

Its now public http://new.irishrail.ie

The full details of what it can do http://new.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4385&p=116&n=237

Rail Users Ireland members were involved in testing of the site in recent weeks. This feedback resulted in many minor changes in content. There are still some issues to be resolved but none are major

Bookings made on the new site appear on the old one and vice versa

The next phase is a new booking system which will finally allow booking between any pair of stations. This is somewhat dependent on a new fare structure being in place.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 14:05   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Secret trick

http://new.irishrail.ie/StationName

So

http://new.irishrail.ie/Drogheda will give you the page on Drogheda and all information including real-time train information
Unread 07-12-2011, 14:39   #3
karlr42

I emalied this to the feedback email they posted on twitter:

The DART and Short Hop Zone Fare page(http://new.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=198) doesn't seem to recognise Tara St or Pearse as destinations or depature points. For example, you can't get a fare from Clonsilla to Tara St, or Balbriggan to Pearse, or from Connolly to Pearse, or from Pearse to Maynooth, and so on. Instead you get "There are no fares available for your selected stations."
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 14:57   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

They are still using the old fares engine for the Dublin area, it only accepts Dublin City Centre

New fares engine will solve this
Unread 07-12-2011, 15:02   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its quite complicated system

1. Website graphical design and content management is by Strata3 an award winning Dublin web design agency

2. The journey planner and mapping is the Hafas system by Hacon of Germany. This is the same system as used by Deutsche Bahn and many others

3. The real-time train information is IE's internal IT department

4. The booking engine is another in house creation

5. A mobile version is in development

6. Personalised timetable generation is also due soon
Unread 07-12-2011, 15:16   #6
shweeney
Regular Poster

new map is not great - I'd thought they'd moved away from identifying the suburban service as 4 separate lines, its much more confusing and not really an accurate reflection of the service anyway (even more confusing with the docklands branch shown as a really long extra line)
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 17:54   #7
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shweeney View Post
I'd thought they'd moved away from identifying the suburban service as 4 separate lines
Intreresting point. I presume that they wanted to distinguish the Northern line from the Maynooth/M3 lines.

However, I think there are other efficiencies in the map that would allow the Maynooth line to be moved further 'west'.
Unread 07-12-2011, 19:31   #8
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Like the new site, booking system is much better and they have the real time info fixed.

Like the way they have a Live Train map showing trains but mainly in areas with Real Time info.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:11   #9
shweeney
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
Intreresting point. I presume that they wanted to distinguish the Northern line from the Maynooth/M3 lines.
they're all now branded as "Commuter" (though I notice the real-time info on the site is once again describing commuter trains as "Arrows", a brand they haven't used for about 10 years). You can get a train from Maynooth to Bray, or from Arklow to Dundalk, no point drawing them as separate lines.
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:40   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The branding issue on the real-time is a known issue and will be resolved in the near future
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:02   #11
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Waterford - Limerick Junction
Limerick - Ballybrophy via Nenagh

Service: Intercity. Eh, I don't think so....

Also, some Sligo trains STILL Commuter which is quite shocking really.
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 13:09   #12
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Also, some Sligo trains STILL Commuter which is quite shocking really.
New ICR will start passenger service early in 2012 according to the new site so would expect sligo services to be high on the list.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 14:26   #13
dowlingm

Three typos on one page... eep.

Quote:
Safety & Security

This page lists safety and security tips and features for passengers, parents and children, and mortorists of Do's and Don'ts when on or near a railway line.

FAQ

See our Frequently Asked Questions section for the most popular questions Iarnród Éireann recieve. If you cannot find an answer please do not hesitiate to contact us with your question.
Have submitted a feedback report.

How is IE going to handle Irish do we know?

Last edited by dowlingm : 08-12-2011 at 14:29.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 14:31   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The underlying journey planner speaks many languages

Legally I don't think Irish Rail has to provide a site in Irish
Unread 08-12-2011, 15:25   #15
dowlingm

It seems to fall under Language Schemes. IE hasn't submitted one (not listed in approved or draft) and it's not clear if a section 11 request has been made to them to do so by the relevant Minister.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 18:00   #16
jacko
Regular Poster

still unable to book from loads of stations (presumably those with no facility to collect)
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 18:24   #17
James Howard

I must say, this website appears very much like the train service. It looks a bit prettier, will probably decay quite quickly and I presume they spent a lot of money on it but it doesn't seem to do anything that the other site didn't do.

It looks very much like an average corporate 2008 website. The old site looked like something from around 2001. The branding is weak but that is a general pattern across all Irish State organisations - a bit of text and a Nike swoosh and that's the logo done. (See the national transport authority for details).

I do like the four tabs across the top in the shape of a train. They give the site its strongest branding cue and make it relatively quick to find the information you want with a relatively amount of hunting. However, the "Travel and Station Information" has most of its links duplicated in three different places on the page with one notable exception.

This notable exception which I am sure is entirely accidental is the passenger charter which is only present in the tiny site map section at the bottom of the page.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 01:48   #18
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Last year, I did an incomplete exercise, where I took all the data from the station information pages and tried to create a master list, which I've attached. Note the data is from June 2010 and Irish Rail have added some additional data fields, stations and edits.

Now, I've suggested to Irish Rail that they update all the information by surveying local staff, however, I do need a second opinion on the master list.

Certainly, the red bits need a bit of reconsidering.

The station list needs a bit of tidying up, especially for the new or closed stations and NIR owned stations, where no data has been presented.

Feel free to make suggestions.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Irish Rail Stations 201112090138.xls (289.0 KB, 7232 views)

Last edited by Colm Moore : 09-12-2011 at 02:16.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-12-2011, 20:55   #19
ajdunlop
New to the board

There seems to be no / very information little about Enterprise on the new site and still no ability to book to NIR stations not served by Enterprise. It appears that while Translink treat the Enterprise as a proper part of their service provision IÉ want to hide it!
ajdunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-12-2011, 01:37   #20
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Irish Rail does not have a license to use the internal Northern Irish timetable so only Enterprise served stations are shown (all of which are bookable provided the origin is from the Republic of Ireland). Northern Irish railways do not support reservations in any shape or form so booking makes no difference.

This issue is under discussion with Irish Rail

Irish Rail booking offices can issue tickets to any Northern Irish destination upon request