Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-07-2012, 14:10   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Wifi should work on all ICR/22k trains nationwide, assuming all are actually fitted as Irish Rail claim. I have a confirmed report of working wifi on a Rosslare Dublin service.

The Blackrock to Killiney section plus Bray Greystones will never have good coverage due geography and even use of satellite would not solve this.

The coverage around Rathdrum is surprisingly good, but Arklow Gorey is poor
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-07-2012, 22:50   #2
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The Blackrock to Killiney section plus Bray Greystones will never have good coverage due geography and even use of satellite would not solve this.
GSM-R for DART might be the ultimate solution, with the GSM-R bit being hardwired repeaters (similar to those deployed in subway systems) and then the telcos piggybacking. Question is when the shekels will be scraped together to fund that.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-07-2012, 01:12   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Irish Rail's GSM-R contract does include a data option
Unread 18-07-2012, 04:12   #4
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

The trick is to charge the phone companies for deploying antennae on railway property. They won't charge any extra per minute to their customers, but will get extra revenue as there will be more minutes. Use that rent to off-set he cost of the wi-fi.
Unread 19-07-2012, 03:40   #5
dowlingm

similar arrangement going to be done in the Channel Tunnel.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-07-2012, 07:39   #6
DangerM
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Wifi should work on all ICR/22k trains nationwide, assuming all are actually fitted as Irish Rail claim. I have a confirmed report of working wifi on a Rosslare Dublin service.

The coverage around Rathdrum is surprisingly good, but Arklow Gorey is poor
Hi Mark, on all Rosslare trains or just one, it has definitely not been available on any of the journeys I have been on. Can we find out for definite? I have contacted Irish rail myself but no response yet. It's false advertising. I use mobile broadband every day at the moment so I know the sections it should be available, even if the signal is poor it should still come up in a search for wifi signals and it never does.
DangerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-07-2012, 09:44   #7
ciaram
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerM View Post
Hi Mark, on all Rosslare trains or just one, it has definitely not been available on any of the journeys I have been on. Can we find out for definite? I have contacted Irish rail myself but no response yet. It's false advertising. I use mobile broadband every day at the moment so I know the sections it should be available, even if the signal is poor it should still come up in a search for wifi signals and it never does.
I'm on the morning down sevice at the moment (9.58 ex Dun Laoghaire, carriage 22209) and can confirm that while there is wifi, the router isn't handing out IP addresses, so you just end up with a 169 address, so not much use really. I'm seeing two access points, same channel so I presume one ap in each end.
ciaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-07-2012, 10:40   #8
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Hi Mark, on all Rosslare trains or just one, it has definitely not been available on any of the journeys I have been on. Can we find out for definite? I have contacted Irish rail myself but no response yet. It's false advertising..
Indeed you hit the nail on the head - FALSE ADVERTISING.

Currently the 13:36 to Rosslare is a 4 piece 29000. Not sure about the evening services but I'd assume they are also 29k operated?

I mean seriously, is anyone else not ****** off that Wexford/Rosslare still has Commuter trains today?

In order for this route to grow, we need every service Intercity standard with the Wi Fi facility on board ( regardless of bad coverage in some spots)
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-07-2012, 15:05   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

All ICR/22k services are meant to have wifi, as I posted I have a confirmed report from a passenger that they have used wifi on an ICR service between Rosslare and Dublin

Irish Rail's wording is 'intercity trains' and doesn't state all trains on a specific route are fitted. So if its a 29k (some of which actually have wifi too) it falls outside the description published.

Based on past experience and feedback from the ASAI (plus the wifi is free) no complaint would be upheld
Unread 19-07-2012, 14:28   #10
DangerM
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaram View Post
I'm on the morning down sevice at the moment (9.58 ex Dun Laoghaire, carriage 22209) and can confirm that while there is wifi, the router isn't handing out IP addresses, so you just end up with a 169 address, so not much use really. I'm seeing two access points, same channel so I presume one ap in each end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
Indeed you hit the nail on the head - FALSE ADVERTISING.

Currently the 13:36 to Rosslare is a 4 piece 29000. Not sure about the evening services but I'd assume they are also 29k operated?

I mean seriously, is anyone else not ****** off that Wexford/Rosslare still has Commuter trains today?

In order for this route to grow, we need every service Intercity standard with the Wi Fi facility on board ( regardless of bad coverage in some spots)
So is it only the new Intercity trains that have wifi then? The 05:35 out of Rosslare is a 29k and two out of the three back down to Wexford in the evening are 29k's too (16:37 & 17:36).

And, YES, I am very ****** off that we still have these commuter trains but no one cares except us idiots on it each day! I would at least like to get to the bottom of this wifi issue.
DangerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-07-2012, 15:05   #11
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
So is it only the new Intercity trains that have wifi then? The 05:35 out of Rosslare is a 29k and two out of the three back down to Wexford in the evening are 29k's too (16:37 & 17:36).

And, YES, I am very ****** off that we still have these commuter trains but no one cares except us idiots on it each day! I would at least like to get to the bottom of this wifi issue.
It is on all intercity branded trains (the vehicles, not the services) at the moment. It will be added to Enterprise, Commuter & DART branded trains.
Unread 20-07-2012, 06:37   #12
James Howard

At this stage I have given up on it and gone back to my phone - it is completely unreliable. On at least one train on the Sligo line it does't work at all - the network is there but neither my laptop, ipad or phone can connect to it and I can't see the login page. When it does work, it is glitchy and its failure modes are very bad - you see error pages from a Squid proxy,

Basically, I get a better service off my phone (three) so I'll stick with that. For commuters and anybody travelling for business, this sort of service is useless if isn't reliable. There is no point in turning up for a train expecting to get a couple of hours work done and then discovering that the service isn't working. If you have to back it up you might as well just use your backup.

I understand that the service is highly dependent on the quality of the phone network and there are large stretches of the Sligo line with no coverage such as between Mullingar and Killucan but if my phone gets a signal, then this system should be able to get a signal. It isn't even as if it is heavily used on the early morning service - most of the long-haulers are asleep on this train.

But it is excellent value at the price :-)
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-07-2012, 09:52   #13
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

well, i can certifiy that whenever i have tried to use the wifi on the cork-dublin line its usually rubbish. in fact three times i have just closed the laptop and gazed out the window instead to calm down after the experiance.