Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 09-05-2006, 10:28   #81
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Given its the quietest train to Cork I think I'll take my chances with the 340 odd standard class seats, I can of course pay to upgrade to first
Unread 09-05-2006, 14:26   #82
James Shields

I thought these trains were better equiped for seat booking than any other, with digital displays over every seat for booking information. I would hope that they've already tested that the booking system works properly and integrates with the website.

Oh well. Hopefully they've just switched it off as a precaution and it will be available again soon.
Unread 09-05-2006, 15:46   #83
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
I thought these trains were better equiped for seat booking than any other, with digital displays over every seat for booking information. I would hope that they've already tested that the booking system works properly and integrates with the website.
This being the company that runs trains northbound to Bray and cant get what computer controlled PIS it has woking property. I look forward to seeing the digital display over a cork seat telling joe that he's booked for Galway.
Unread 10-05-2006, 14:55   #84
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Latest word in from Cork is there is a set trapped in the peoples republic and there is no Cork driver is willing to drive it back

IE contacted for comment denied this despite staff on the ground admitting it

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 10-05-2006 at 15:07.
Unread 11-05-2006, 09:50   #85
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

More has been revealed by the online timetable

The 13:30 Cork Dublin for next week has the following note "Runs on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday from 15 May until 20 May.", can't book a seat on that either
Unread 12-05-2006, 20:02   #86
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Now got official word of unoffical action by Cork based drivers in Cork from Monday
Unread 13-05-2006, 23:01   #87
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Ah don't worry you'll see your name scrolling across the front of the train with an incorrect spelling, your credit card number displayed along with expiry date and security details above your seat.

I am seriously sick to death of IE drivers / disputes. They'll kill the railways if they continue like this, people like reliability.

These disputes are terrible PR, they look ridiculous and just confirm in the mind of the general public that our railways are incapable of progressing.

Last edited by MrX : 13-05-2006 at 23:03.
Unread 14-05-2006, 11:08   #88
James Shields

So the trains will be able to get to Cork, but they won't be able to get home again?

Or will they operate but only be run by Dublin drivers?

This seems a very silly dispute. The Train manager one made a certain amount of sense, as there were new work practices that had to be agreed, so at least half the blame lay with IE management. However, the drivers are doing pretty much what they've always done. In one direction they're driving the same ol' 201, and as I understand, the CDE cab at the other end is pretty much a replica of the 201 controls.

Or is pressing the "door close" button a major extra responsibility?
Unread 14-05-2006, 12:09   #89
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The 9am and 1:30pm return are Dublin drivers and staff so no issue

Dublin based drivers for years have operated on a driver only basis, there is a small payment per hour for this which was a agreed ages ago, the Cork drivers have no come back as they voted to accept this back in 2000

As I understand it the Cork Tralee and Cork Cobh service the driver releases the doors as there is no guards door key on Irish trains
Unread 15-05-2006, 09:39   #90
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

As if I needed to report, train A202 9:00 Dublin Cork did not run and no sign of any CDE sets in Heuston
Unread 15-05-2006, 09:46   #91
James Shields

Berely even a train to be seen when I was there. A Mk2 set for the Galway train, and a commuter train on another platform were the only trains in sight around 8:55. Mind you, I didn't check the newer platforms.
Unread 17-05-2006, 18:28   #92
Kildare Commuter
New to the board

From Irish Times, Breaking News, 17 May 2006

Unions at Irish rail are to recommend the introduction of the new high-tech trains that sparked this week's rail strike.

The Joint Siptu/NBRU National Locomotive Drivers Committee made the unanimous decision to back the introduction of the new Mark IV InterCity Trains, beginning May 22, after talks with management today. The trade unions plan to consult their members in the interval.

The strike began on Monday after two Cork-based drivers refused to operate a new high-tech train that the company had planned to bring into service on the Cork-Dublin route.

The action spread yesterday with drivers based in Athlone and Galway joining those in Dublin, Cork and Limerick who had stopped working on Monday in support of their two colleagues.

The drivers returned to work today after a deal was reached with Iarnród Éireann in the early hours of this morning. A deal was reached after 14 hours of talks. The intensive efforts to resolve the dispute, assisted by industrial relations consultant Phil Flynn, continued late last night and agreement was reached at 1am.

Minister for Finance Brian Cowen made his opinion on the row clear earlier today.

"We are here to provide services for our citizens, for commuters, and they shouldn't be inconvenienced in the way that they were. It gives the public service a bad name, one that we shouldn't be giving to it if we respect IR [industrial relations] machinery ," he said. "I'm glad that there has been an intervention now to resolve the immediate problem, but we shouldn't see it repeated."

He said he hoped the social partnership discussions that currently taking place would be successful, and that there would be clear commitments that the events of this week would not be repeated.

The unofficial action lead to severe disruption to services on Monday and yesterday. There were no trains between Heuston Station in Dublin and Cork, Galway or Westport, while only one train ran between Dublin and Limerick.

Only the Waterford service from Heuston was operating to a near-normal level.
Unread 17-05-2006, 23:24   #93
GavinG
Regular Poster

This whole thing is a joke. It should have been sorted ages ago. Have IE EVER heard of Project mgmt ? They have been messing around with the job for lifers for years so they should have saw this coming. How come there was no consultation BEFORE these trains ever landed on Irish shores so that these trains could enter service ASAP.
We are a laughing stock again and im sick to death of these stupid disputes - Both sides are to blame.

One sad thing is for sure - this wont be the last dispute on the railways. Im sure we will see more damage to the economy by these idiots in months and years to come.
Unread 19-05-2006, 17:41   #94
sponge

I saw a CDE set pulling out of Kent station today, Friday, at about 10:40 AM Power unit pointing into the tunnel. 201 at the rear in new livery. There didn't seem to be any passengers on board.I noticed that there was still tape on the steps of the carriages from the time of manufacturing.
Unread 19-05-2006, 19:52   #95
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This all starts to fit together

The weekly circular issued last week said 9am Dublin Cork and 13:30 return would be set 4002, the one parked in platform 9 Heuston.

It is fairly well known that set 4002 is the only one suitable for passenger services, the above post clearly shows that set 4003 was not ready for service

Iarnród Éireann withdrew seat booking on those trains, 9am Dublin Cork and 13:30 return

We all assumed that the first service would be the 9am, I've been told that. There is a big question of how the 5:30 out of Cork became a CDE operated
Unread 21-05-2006, 18:15   #96
sean

What's the bets the drivers in the People's Republic will be too wasted tomorrow morning to drive the new trains?
Unread 21-05-2006, 18:36   #97
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

They won't be driving the new train for the foreseeable future
Unread 21-05-2006, 19:59   #98
sean

???
Unread 21-05-2006, 20:01   #99
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

At the moment no Cork driver is needed to drive as the 9:00 is a Dublin driver.

Your next question is what on earth happened in Cork last week, thats for later
Unread 21-05-2006, 20:54   #100
James Shields

So is the first train 9:00 from Dublin tomorrow?

There was some mention of the 5:30 from Cork. The later service makes more sense to me since the 5:30 will likely carry a lot of people coming up to Dublin for the week. Apart from there being less people to see it if there were any problems, it's likely to attract a lot of media attention, and there's no point in having the media showing off how overcrowded the train is.
Closed Thread