Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-11-2008, 15:33   #1
Jimbo
New to the board

Default Clamping issue

Can anyone help me out here. I commute from Newbridge to Dublin Mon-Fri. I returned one evening to find my car clamped. I did have a valid parking ticket but it had obviously fallen on the ground. I called the clamper who was still in the car park and he took off the clamp but still had to pay even though I showed him the valid ticket. He said to write a letter to their offices about it which I did but they said that they couldn't do anything about it.
Anything I can do here? Seems very harsh when I did have a valid parking ticket.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2008, 16:09   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If you had a valid ticket, you had a valid ticket.

If the ticket had fallen from view the clamper was correct to clamp

http://www.ncps.ie/ file a formal complaint, then file one with Irish Rail
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2008, 22:16   #3
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I did have a valid parking ticket but it had obviously fallen on the ground.
I don't wish to flame, and am genuinely interested in this. How do such tickets fall on the ground?
Unread 11-11-2008, 09:42   #4
Jimbo
New to the board

Victor,

The ticket is just placed on the windscreen and could easily slip off as it is not stuck on.
Thanks Mark - I know the clamper was correct to clamp as he couldn't see a ticket but I thought they'd refund me the fine when it was a genuine case of a ticket falling to the floor which the clamper verified.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 09:59   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Given the clamper has admitted you had a ticket, there really is no question you should get your money. Can't blame him for doing his job

Call IE 703 44 99, they have subcontracted the service, you not happy and NCPS aren't playing ball. You could threaten to call your solicitor and see what happens
Unread 11-11-2008, 18:15   #6
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Actually in case like this, an appeal will often result in a 50% refund of the clamping charge - assuming there isn't a pattern of "it fell on the floor".
Unread 17-11-2008, 20:27   #7
weary rushian
New to the board

Default Incompetent clamping company

I was also clamped in the same manner, ticket fell on the floor of the car, arriving home on a wet miserable Friday to find the dreaded clamp on my car. Sent off my appeal letter to NCPS to the address on the back of the unclamping notice, only for the letter to be returned to me by An Post marked " gone away" Phoned NCPS to be told by them that "the clamper must have been using an old fine book as they have moved" Not very sympathetic to my plight either! Needless to say I was (and still am) seething at their incompetence. So had to post it off again, I asked her would I have to wait 28 days for reply again and she said she would "put a note on the system so I would get a swift reply" Not holding my breath in anticipation. A friend from work clamped at different station last week, I phoned her to see what address she is sending her appeal to, and lo and behold it's the same "gone away" address. Is this a conspiracy by NCPS to put us off appealing? I am not hopeful of getting a refund after seeing original post, quite devastated to think I will have lost €125 because the clamping company issue very flimsy tickets, why can't they have ticket machines like the ones Dublin City Council have i.e. that you can actually stick onto your windscreen. Will keep the forum posted when (if) I get a reply from NCPS. I could be looking for advice as to my next move as I am prepared to take this further.
weary rushian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2008, 20:32   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

For the benefit of others what are the

Good?

Bad?

Addresses
Unread 18-11-2008, 08:41   #9
chipper
Regular Poster

I was nearly caught out the same way last week when the ticket blew off the dashboard as I was closing the door. I just happened to spot it as I walked away. I now use a bit of blu-tack to hold the ticket in place.
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-11-2008, 10:04   #10
weary rushian
New to the board

Bad address: Port Tunnel Development, Willsborough Industrial Estate, Coolock, Dublin 17.

Good address: 6 Mount Street Crescent, Dublin 2
Unread 18-11-2008, 10:17   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Much appreciated

In light of some recent events it look like we need a clamping page on the website
Unread 18-11-2008, 22:50   #12
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weary rushian View Post
why can't they have ticket machines like the ones Dublin City Council have i.e. that you can actually stick onto your windscreen. Will keep the forum posted when (if) I get a reply from NCPS. I could be looking for advice as to my next move as I am prepared to take this further.
Dublin City Council changed their bye-laws, tickets and prodecures ... becuase people were saying "I stuck it on the window, but the window was was and it must have fallen off". So now you have to display it on the dash board or other prominant location.
Unread 21-11-2008, 04:57   #13
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

I have now heard reports of dodgy clampings going on in both Newbridge and Kildare stations, clamping folks who have paid like above.

We'll be needing that Clamping help page because we have unaccountable clampers operating on property of an an unaccountable property company that happen to operate trains.

Last edited by Mark Hennessy : 21-11-2008 at 10:48.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-11-2008, 07:26   #14
plant43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
I have now heard reports of dodgy clampers going to town in both Newbridge and Kildare stations, clamping folks who have paid like above.

We'll be needing that Clamping help page because we have unaccountable clampers operating on property of an an unaccountable property company that happen to operate trains.
Well there were three cars clamped in Newbridge yesterday evening - two had no tickets, and one had a ticket that had expired that morning.

One Saturday a couple of weeks back, fifteen cars were clamped.
plant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-11-2008, 08:12   #15
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plant43 View Post
Well there were three cars clamped in Newbridge yesterday evening - two had no tickets, and one had a ticket that had expired that morning.

One Saturday a couple of weeks back, fifteen cars were clamped.
Nothing wrong with that, those folks had no valid tickets.

We have had reports of unjustified clamping though with folks who have had valid tickets.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-11-2008, 10:32   #16
ccos

Exclamation

Quote:
Mark when you say xxxxx clampers are you refering to clampers other than NCPS are going around clamping in Newbridge and Kildare. Or are these xxxxx clampers employed by NCPS?
Thats avery leading question, why would you try to make somebody say something that could be misconstrued as libel????????????

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 21-11-2008 at 10:51. Reason: Delete for legal reasons
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 12:08   #17
weary rushian
New to the board

Default Update on clamping

Further to my post of 17/11/2008 have now heard back from the clamping company, saying they are not allowing my appeal. As I thought they would, they say it is my responsibility to have the ticket displayed in such a way as to be read by their operatives blah blah. Am still very upset at losing this money as I had a valid ticket. I am wondering can anyone advise me about taking this further? Also, as outlined in my first posting, the address to send my appeal to on the unclamping notice was wrong- I presume this does not invalidate it? (Really clutching at straws here!) Would really appreciate any advice offered, especially from Jimbo who was the first poster on this issue, and was in the same situation. Did you get any further Jimbo?
Unread 03-12-2008, 12:14   #18
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

We know of several complaints currently ongoing, some of what we are hearing is truely awful

However one issue arises as an ltd the registered address of the company must be on all invoices, correspondence etc. Use of out of date stationary particularly in a case where it prevented someone from contacting the company would get the back of the company registration office up
Unread 03-12-2008, 17:25   #19
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Ask for their independent appeals procedure (if they have one).
Unread 03-12-2008, 18:27   #20
chris
Regular Poster

My tuppence-ha'penny worth: (which is not legal advice)

Displaying the ticket visibly will either be in the terms and conditions, or it will be implied into the contract on the basis of business efficacy.

What isn't clear is whether the signs warning you of clamping as the sanction are visible enough to imply this into the contract, since this could be viewed as an onerous term. As a general point, that would depend on each individual station. Of course, if you start admitting you knew you could be clamped for contravening the T&Cs, then it doesn't help you anyway...

Your best hope is to get them on the radio, make them seem unreasonable, and that will hopefully make all the law go away.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote