Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-01-2014, 03:21   #1
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Kinda off topic but one of my friends has a free travel pass and she needs to go to Belfast to get a crown on her tooth. Is the free travel pass accepted on The Enterprise and if it is I assume they will give her one ticket Limerick-Belfast return?
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:00   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Ticket to Dublin and separate ticket to Belfast, an application form has to be completed at Connolly for cross border travel as the Northern Irish authorities demand a full audit of journeys taken
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 21:42   #3
Traincustomer

There's normally a supply of those application forms in the leaflet rack on the concourse at Connolly (and/or at the information desk beside the doors) for customers to fill in and hand-in. White form with blue header I think.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 13:52   #4
AD11
New to the board

Had my first experience of the new 'in your face' style ticket checkers last night. I appreciate it's a dirty job that someone has to do and it's great that chancers are going to suffer at last but the guy checking around me was just a little bit obnoxious and condescending to several people.

I know if he spoke to me the way he spoke to a student a few seats back and also 2 'children' . I would have been very annoyed.
Unread 07-01-2014, 14:08   #5
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

If this was the 1905 to Sligo, then I saw the same blokes. I had headphones on so didn't hear what was going on around me but there were polite enough (but assertive) to me. They seemed very diligent in checking the details on the student car of the girl sitting opposite. I'm happy to see more of this given that I pay my way and would have to pay less if everyone else does. It is quite absurd how rarely this happens given the amount of fare-dodging going on.

Rather disgustingly, some scumbag left a little souvenir in the accessible toilet - I wonder if this was in reaction to getting nabbed by the RPU guys.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 15:10   #6
AD11
New to the board

Yes it was the 19.05 Sligo train alright.
Unread 07-01-2014, 16:25   #7
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD11 View Post
Had my first experience of the new 'in your face' style ticket checkers last night. I appreciate it's a dirty job that someone has to do and it's great that chancers are going to suffer at last but the guy checking around me was just a little bit obnoxious and condescending to several people.

I know if he spoke to me the way he spoke to a student a few seats back and also 2 'children' . I would have been very annoyed.
Was the ticket checker rude or what - no call for that if that was the case, people deserve to be treated with respect, especially those who have valid tickets.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 20:44   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If you personally had a 'bad experience' report the member of staff, complain. As for third party observations of other passengers experience it is hard to know the full context, but if its clearly excessive complain.

We have raised complaints with Irish Rail to ensure the RPU staff show their ID badges clearly when conducting a check. Demand to see the ID card if not shown, they must have the ID and a warrant card.

Its not a pleasant job and I have to admit we have complained to Irish Rail concerning the very superficial nature of ticket checks, we are now seeing a more in-depth check so this will catch the professional evaders who fake tickets, ID and so on.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 07:42   #9
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I would have the guy who dealt with me as being assertive rather than rude which is necessary. He said thank you to me after I showed my pass. I think his ID was visible but I couldn't swear to that as I wasn't paying that much attention.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 11:27   #10
AD11
New to the board

He was more aggressive than I would like but not outright rude. There was a student he pulled up over not having a student card which was fair enough but I didnt like the way he spoke to the 2 girls who may or may not have been using valid 'child' tickets. If they were actually entitled to use them I would be upset at his manner and the aggressive way he spoke to them was uncalled for in my opinion anyway.

In fairness he was fine with me although he gave my annual ticket more scrutiny than anyone I've ever seen in about 10 yrs commuting
Unread 08-01-2014, 12:41   #11
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD11 View Post
He was more aggressive than I would like but not outright rude. There was a student he pulled up over not having a student card which was fair enough but I didnt like the way he spoke to the 2 girls who may or may not have been using valid 'child' tickets. If they were actually entitled to use them I would be upset at his manner and the aggressive way he spoke to them was uncalled for in my opinion anyway.

In fairness he was fine with me although he gave my annual ticket more scrutiny than anyone I've ever seen in about 10 yrs commuting
Sounds like the ticket checker should have been put on a training course on how to deal with people for a start.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote