Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 21-05-2015, 13:36   #1
laoisfan
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Its 100 miles to Cork from Ballybrophy, totally crazy to commute and not something you want to encourage. Neither of the early Cork Dublin trains call Thurles.

Its a commercial choice, more stops means more time. The absence of a pre 9am arrival in Cork is a disgrace and has serious implications for business.
Would you agree that it's roughly 73 miles (thereabout) from Ballybrophy to Dublin?

If so....100 miles....73 miles....totally doable. I know people who drive up/down every day from Ballybrophy/Rathdowney to Cork. And I'm talking Cork City Centre here. Also Thurles.

Irish Rail seem to think that all signs point to Dublin. They made that mistake with the line from Limerick to Dublin via Nenagh, Roscrea etc. Smart thing to do might have been to try running it from Portlaoise to Limerick via Ballybrophy, Roscrea, Nenagh etc etc just to see if they could get people out of their cars!!

Edit: I've often have had to get up at 5:30am/6:00am to go into Portlaoise to catch a train to Dublin to make a 8:30am start in Eastpoint. Getting up at this time or a small bit later to drive to Thurles to catch a train to Cork (assuming it made Kent Station at 8:30am at the latest) would not be a big deal.

Ballybrophy-Templemore-Thurles are ideal locations for commuting to Dublin, Limerick & Cork via Irish Rail. Totally doable.

Last edited by laoisfan : 21-05-2015 at 13:39.
laoisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2015, 06:56   #2
Traincustomer

At 07.54 the live info shows the 06.15 Cork-Dublin as arriving at Heuston
in 41 minutes time i.e. 08.35.
Possibly it may make up a few minutes.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2015, 08:28   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It arrived Heuston on time, pity is that is caused just about every other train to be delayed.

Delays of 10 minutes on most services following
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2015, 09:32   #4
Kilocharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
It arrived Heuston on time, pity is that is caused just about every other train to be delayed.

Delays of 10 minutes on most services following
Reminds of the days with the early Cork train, 0505, would, running late as usual, would disrupt several other trains....
Kilocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2015, 10:35   #5
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

So it caused other services to suffer and I believe the 05.55-08.20 service is more popular with Cork passengers than the new express. So much for listening to customers and asking them their views!

Having it depart at 06.00 and arrive at 08.15 and the stopping depart at 06.10 and arrive at 08.35 would be the way to go.

So big question is how many weeks or months will us others have to put up with accommodating it?

IE should know it is very difficult to add services without implementing a new timetable especially at peak times...
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2015, 13:25   #6
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
So it caused other services to suffer and I believe the 05.55-08.20 service is more popular with Cork passengers than the new express. So much for listening to customers and asking them their views!

Having it depart at 06.00 and arrive at 08.15 and the stopping depart at 06.10 and arrive at 08.35 would be the way to go.

So big question is how many weeks or months will us others have to put up with accommodating it?

IE should know it is very difficult to add services without implementing a new timetable especially at peak times...
I'm not sure how anyone can jump to all of the conclusions that you have in that post on the basis of a sample of one single day's performance?

I don't think that you can judge the popularity of a service until after several months, and performance until after at least one week.

You certainly cannot leap to the conclusions that you have after one single day.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2015, 15:16   #7
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
I'm not sure how anyone can jump to all of the conclusions that you have in that post on the basis of a sample of one single day's performance?

I don't think that you can judge the popularity of a service until after several months, and performance until after at least one week.

You certainly cannot leap to the conclusions that you have after one single day.
Schedules don't allow very much leeway and for a service to be late entering a critical part of the network and arriving on time in Heuston is not acceptable. I am aware it's not the only service however causing such delays as 10 minutes is not acceptable. Note that the service commenced when there is only one TSR in place on the line which seems to be preeminent it won't be long until another is in place and it will just make the problem worse. This is just poor timetabling from IE's part and most can see it was never going to work expect those who came up with it.

As for numbers using it, 10 minutes difference in times is a lot to many and I bet that whenever a timetable changes you will see it have an 08.15 arrival.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote