Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 26-01-2008, 17:31   #1
ThomasJ

Default Is Broombridge station in trouble now?

Just heard a report on the Radio that Broombridge maybe about to suffer service cutbacks due to the opening of the new Phoenix park as well as other events happening on the platforms. I only heard a glimpse of it will try and find out more its on the INN news on radio
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-01-2008, 18:34   #2
eugene

WTF, yes can you find out details please. Thats the station I use every day to get into work.
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-01-2008, 19:11   #3
ThomasJ

Just heard it on the radio again. It is saying that with the opening of phoenix park station that due to recent vigilante attacks the station maybe about to see reduction of services or even closure. Doesnt reveal the source though.
Unread 26-01-2008, 19:59   #4
eugene

Thats going to make things difficult for me. If only the other station, the replacement for Broombridge is built some day at Pelletstown/Royal Canal Park
Unread 26-01-2008, 20:03   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Long term Broombridge is closing, that is an unquestionable fact, there will be two stations in its place. Pelletstown and the new Liffey Junction which is really only 200m from Broombridge

The principle problem with Broombridge is the regular bricking of trains, closing the station isn't going to stop that, probably will make it worse. We haven't heard anything and the level of trouble there is less than in the past

Broombridge is not the least used station by a long shot despite this
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-01-2008, 20:10   #6
eugene

I usually get the train round 8am, I'll say there is 10-15 people waiting to get on, maybe 10+ get off there for the industrial estates.

I've been watching this for a while and had heard the new Pelletstown station was to start construction early 2008 but nothing yet. Why the delay I don't know, there's a lot of people at the Royal Canal Park end
Unread 27-01-2008, 16:05   #7
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Why don't they just staff the station and put on security guards?
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-01-2008, 16:07   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There was a booking office, was burned out

The platform used to have a cobble lock finish, local vandals lifted it bit by bit
Unread 28-01-2008, 11:38   #9
James Shields

Broombridge needs to close, but not until Liffey Junction is ready. Any further alienation of the locality is only going to make acceptance of the new station more difficult.

And let's hope the new station is not a concrete monstrocity like Howth Junction.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-01-2008, 11:57   #10
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The platform used to have a cobble lock finish, local vandals lifted it bit by bit

Really? Hmm, I always thought my neighbours driveway reminded me of the DART platforms...
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-01-2008, 12:00   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Have a photo of the station the year it opened and sure enough lovely cobble lock finish

Now its generic tarmac
Unread 28-01-2008, 16:40   #12
ThomasJ

This story I remember from last September. Shows some of the lunatics that hang around the area.

From Breaking News archives: 21st September 2007

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=MHCWIDIDQLCW

Quote:
A teenager, who raced a motorcycle along a busy train station platform, has been given a two-month sentence and a ten-year road ban, by Judge Ann Ryan at the Dublin Children’s Court.

The 16-year-old boy pleaded guilty yesterday (FRI) to driving without a licence and insurance, at Broombridge railway station, in Dublin, on April 8, 2005. He was aged 14 at the time.

Garda Angela McFadden told the court the teen had been “driving a motorcycle along the railway platform while passengers were getting on and off trains.”

The teenager was stopped and admitted that he did not have a licence or insurance.

Garda McFadden said the boy had a number of previous convictions.

On January 26 last he received a six-month sentence for a theft offence and a further two month term for criminal damage.

The court imposed sentences totalling six months on him, on April 2 last for motor theft offences, dangerous driving, and driving without a licence or insurance. On the same date he received another four month sentence for another motor theft.

The teenager was later bailed allowing him to appeal the sentences in the Circuit Court. However, his appeal failed and he was recently taken into custody to serve out the terms, which will expire at the end of 2008.

The court heard that the north inner city Dublin boy, who was accompanied to court by his mother, had been attending project to help youths with drug problems, before he went into custody.

Judge Ryan imposed a further two-month sentence on the boy, who received free legal aid, and she also banned him from driving for ten years.
Unread 28-01-2008, 17:07   #13
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

Quote:
...... there will be two stations in its place. Pelletstown and the new Liffey Junction which is really only 200m from Broombridge
Is there a need for two new stations so close to each other?
I'm not 100% familiar with the area...so there could be a valid reason (apart from Pelletstown being built by developers)
clonsilladart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-01-2008, 17:13   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Broombridge Ashtown is 2.5km

Ashtown - Liffey Junction will be 2.7km, so station will be roughly half way, so 1.2km to each side allowing for platforms

Distance it takes a DART to accelerate 0 - 100kph and brake to 0 is 760m, plently of space
Unread 05-02-2008, 22:32   #15
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
There was a booking office, was burned out

where a bit was a wheelbarrow full, as witnessed by a co-worker one morning....

closing any station cannot be on without some serious justification.
Closing a station cos a new station was built is not on.
moving a station nearby may be acceptible if it provides a better service for all potential customers, but could only be on if the new station is completely built first.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote