Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 13-01-2010, 10:05   #1
zag
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
What we need to move forward is a solid case based on repeat daily business - paying commuters, not once off events, grannies on free travel etc.
Last I heard, grannies on free travel were passengers too. Or does RUI only represent fare paying passengers who travel every day ? From a profitability point of view fare paying passengers are very important, without a doubt. Since when was RUI concerned with the profitability of the service instead of the the service level ?

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-01-2010, 11:11   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

What we what is a rail service which works, you cannot build a business case for new lines on grannies (who pay in real terms less than 60% of market value) the numbers are not there nor is the business regular. Nor can it be built on once off events.

You need a stable dependable patronage to drive the timetable, growth in passenger numbers => more trains. The service cannot operate with a knife hanging over it. Unless the business case can support 7+ trains a day each way there is no point as below that the frequency is unless for daily commuters

The WRC is a blackhole in money terms and will lose multiple millions per annum, has no business case and will result in later rail projects being delayed and cancelled as what little confidence exists at government level will be lost. In real terms the WRC will cost 15-20 times more per passenger than the Dublin Suburban network, its very existence is already drawing resources away leading to current passengers suffering.

Just remember when you are wedged into a 4 coach commuter train in Dublin, there will be a 2 car railcar with less than a half dozen passengers disturbing the sheep on the WRC I don't call that fair nor is it sensible business and it certainly is not in the interest of those we represent, the passengers. There are no passengers on the WRC last time I checked.

Any expansion of the network cannot come at the price of services being reduced elsewhere
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-01-2010, 11:33   #3
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

You can add to that: IE's maintenance budget is no doubt limited and less than they would like. How much of the neglect and consequent time-wasting temporary speed restrictions on the Cork line is due to resources being diverted to Athenry-Ennis?
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-01-2010, 12:44   #4
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

None of this mentions the fact that the WRC is going to be uttlerly useless for commuters as it would appear impossible to keep Limerick-Ennis open due to flooding.

It was closed for 50 days in February/March 2008, and it likely to be longer again this time as it has been closed since late November.

So basically they might has well have used the 100+ million euro they have thrown at this project as fuel for steam excursions for all the good it will do. And the 100 million doesn't include rolling stock.

I simply can't believe that IE have managed to replace pretty much every component on the entire rail system (Rolling stock, track, signals, most level crossings) over the last 10 years and reliablility has basically gone backwards.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-01-2010, 23:39   #5
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanrailbus View Post
In what way may I ask is this ill informed and lunacy, these points on the whole seem quite valid to me.
what they ^^^^^^^ have all just said. I can do it all condensed like