Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 29-03-2007, 22:31   #1
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Default Where has my last thread been moved too

My last thread was moved by admin and now i cant find it anywhere. Help anyone?
Unread 30-03-2007, 06:45   #2
Oisin88

Infrastructure/Technical it seems.

ps. The Victorians called it "Broadstone"
Unread 30-03-2007, 10:06   #3
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

If you become a member you can be tearfully re-united with it.

Is it blackmail? I dont know.

Extortion? You tell me.

But the members section is where its at.

EG, later on today we're telling you a surefire way of knowing if the 1840 to Thurles is broken down before theres any announcement.
Unread 30-03-2007, 10:10   #4
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

RPA know this as well
Unread 30-03-2007, 10:25   #5
zag
Regular Poster

Default What is this member thing you talk of ?

I thought I was a member, but I don't see any infrastructure/technical forum. What's the story ?

Is there a higher level of membershipness I should be aspiring to ?

Would it help if I said the secret password ? Knowing the way things go today it might well be 'password01'. Does that work ?

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-03-2007, 11:18   #6
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

have a lookie here:

http://www.platform11.org/get_involved/

You see, unless the word member appears under your name you're not a member and you cannot see the members section where we've moved all the stuff which is non-customer service (infrastructure) and where we also discuss P11 activities and news and stuff.
Unread 30-03-2007, 12:12   #7
zag
Regular Poster

Default I learn something new every day

Well now, that's my new thing learned for today.

I would suggest putting the membership link on the forum page too. I don't know if I'm the only one, but my primary exposure to P11 is through the forums. I occasionally look through the main website, but didn't come across the membership page before.

z
Unread 30-03-2007, 12:23   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

http://forum.platform11.org/showthread.php?t=2
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-03-2007, 12:36   #9
zag
Regular Poster

Default Thanks for the link, but

. . . I've already learned my thing for today.

I could have writen a much longer post than my earlier one, but I thought the implication that P11 are missing out on potential memberships because of lack of awareness was relatively clear.

*I* now know where to go for membership, but unless it is made clearer then I think the next people who come along and sign up to the forum will also believe they have 'joined' P11 since there is no clear sign to the contrary.

Maybe it's just me, I don't know . . .

z
Unread 30-03-2007, 12:57   #10
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Interesting.

Did you first come to P11 via this board or a link?

We have big plans to scrap and rebuild the main site anyway and this message board will be revamped.

Details will be unveiled at the AGM, which you dont know about, because the details are in the members section.
Unread 30-03-2007, 20:54   #11
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Damn it tom, im a visitor not a member. I wanted to put forward and idea and its stolen from me and put on a high shelf that i cant reach, or didnt even know existed. I come here view favouriting the forum so i havent been to the website in months, i cant know about these exclusive things.

Ps. In other words im a pennyless non-working student and i cant pay, and probably wouldnt. This is supposed to be a forum, which means deplomacy. No Class structure of members verses forum members, your big meanies!

Last edited by Aphfaneire : 30-03-2007 at 20:56.
Aphfaneire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-03-2007, 21:15   #12
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphfaneire View Post
Damn it tom, im a visitor not a member. I wanted to put forward and idea and its stolen from me and put on a high shelf that i cant reach, or didnt even know existed. I come here view favouriting the forum so i havent been to the website in months, i cant know about these exclusive things.

Ps. In other words im a pennyless non-working student and i cant pay, and probably wouldnt. This is supposed to be a forum, which means deplomacy. No Class structure of members verses forum members, your big meanies!
Ah go on. Its only a tenner. Price of 2 jars.

PS. Your idea hasn't been stolen. Your name is still attached to it.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-03-2007, 09:16   #13
ooleary
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
Ah go on. Its only a tenner. Price of 2 jars.
Perhaps two of your fancy posh Dublin jars...us commuters have to make do with cheap immitation "down the country" pints (at least I assume that's why they're cheaper)
ooleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-03-2007, 15:16   #14
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooleary View Post
Perhaps two of your fancy posh Dublin jars...us commuters have to make do with cheap immitation "down the country" pints (at least I assume that's why they're cheaper)
Im in Naas. 2 pints = 8.40. 1.60 change from a tenner = no more beer. Hence the 2 jars effectively cost a tenner. I'd have to have 4 jars to generate the price of a half pint from the change. Which is why I normally spend approx 25 euro and generate more change for more beer. However I'll correct matters.

Membership is still effectively the price of 2 jars (pints/quarter bottles of wine, but not shorts and mixers) If you choose the pint option, then you've enough change for crisps,peanuts, bacon fries etc. However all of this is wholly dependent on location and time of day.

P11 membership is still 10euro.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-03-2007, 22:08   #15
James Shields

And a bargain it is too!

Members get to go to the AGM too, and I hear it promises to be a class act this year.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2007, 18:09   #16
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Im sorry but its just mean. I had a sugestion and then before i could see any answers too it, its moved and now the discussion is out of my hands. I dont know what anyone has said and now its pointless that i asked cause i cant know now.
Unread 03-04-2007, 21:39   #17
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Well, we usually dont move such topics so fast into the members section so you were unlucky.

Anyway, the sole reply was by moi and was "The RPA know this too" so there you go, you're bang up to date.

Joking apart, there is a reason for this. When P11 started we were lobbying heavily on infrastructure, freight, passenger issues and all other things. We observed that most of the posters who were interested in infrastructure were paid up members and that almost all of the visitors were concerned solely with customer issues. Also, we encountered some considerable passenger/consumer resistance to a lot of the infrastructural topics and, also, highly technical explanations which went out of control and whcih were, frankly, a major turn-off for passengers/consumers.

We decided, with great fanfare, that all technical and infrstructural issues will be going to the members section and only passenger issues would be allowed in the non-members ections. That policy was put into place on the 1/1/07 and announced about a month before.

I appreciate what you say about making sections of a messageboard members only, we've been down that debate before here and on boards.ie and IRN. The best way I can explain it is like this: P11 is not just a place where armchair warriors just give out on their keypads. We actually have policies, we have a constitution, we have paid up members: we are the lobby group on behalf of rail passengers. In order to do that properly it takes time and it takes money, and as i've said on these forums before, if you want to be more than a keyboard warrior (I'm not saying you are btw) and formulate and develop our policies and hellp out, join up.

Quite a lot of messageboards have members only sections, even boards.ie has them. Some message boards are pay only, some are free. Our last message board was one that was free software, it crashed without backup. We (Members) pay v-bulleten for this one, we have our own server and that.

Finally, dont forget that we're up against a highly paid and well staffed PR-department in Irish Rail, who have to work full time to explain the rubbish service they dish out to customers.