Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Waterford
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-01-2010, 13:21   #1
Kilkea
Regular Poster

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlowgirl View Post
This train is good enough, as people have already said if you can get a seat on one of the 3 carriages as they are quite full by the time it gets to carlow and aslo if you could be sure of it getting in on time sometimes its hit and miss.
I do not agree, it is not good enough to have a lottery on an Intercity route as to whether you get a seat or not. This is not a short haul commuter route where standing is acceptable, it is supposed to be a fully fledged intercity route, and the ticket price reflects this.

There was further comedy supplied by IE on this mornings 06.10 Waterford-Dublin. Doors on the left side of the train packed in after Kildare so they loaded the passangers at Newbridge via the drivers door, through the cab and out into the carriage, not what you would expect on a 1 year old train
Kilkea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 13:34   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilkea View Post
There was further comedy supplied by IE on this mornings 06.10 Waterford-Dublin. Doors on the left side of the train packed in after Kildare so they loaded the passangers at Newbridge via the drivers door, through the cab and out into the carriage, not what you would expect on a 1 year old train
Prize for the driver for using a bit of cop on to keep things moving, if HQ knew they would have thrown everyone off and cancelled the train
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 15:19   #3
Kilkea
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Prize for the driver for using a bit of cop on to keep things moving, if HQ knew they would have thrown everyone off and cancelled the train
Agreed, I am one of IE's biggest critics but they have kept things moving this week as far as I can see. Just wish they put this kind of effort in all year round, they would get a lot more respect than they have now.
Unread 08-01-2010, 16:57   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Thats Irish Rail's problem captured in a single event

When backs are to the wall, management and staff seem to pull together and the system works in the face of serious challenges, Wednesday evening was an example of keeping things going in the face of horrible conditions, if it wasn't for a train going on fire it would have been an excellent evening for commuting
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 16:59   #5
Oisin88

Default Intercity/Regional vs Commuter

I think this thread illustrates a point about Irish Rail. There should be a separate set up for the Waterford-Dublin service and the Carlow/Dub.lin part, with more capacity at peak on the Carlow/Dublin part and something consistent on the intercity/interregional part. Does this go over Irish Rails head or is there some sort of a plan, I wonder?
Unread 25-01-2010, 12:41   #6
Kilkea
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin88 View Post
I think this thread illustrates a point about Irish Rail. There should be a separate set up for the Waterford-Dublin service and the Carlow/Dub.lin part, with more capacity at peak on the Carlow/Dublin part and something consistent on the intercity/interregional part. Does this go over Irish Rails head or is there some sort of a plan, I wonder?
Very good idea, the number of passangers travelling from Athy & Carlow is ever increasing. Even if they simply had the new 07.10 Waterford-Dublin service stop at Athy then that would relieve some of the pressure without affecting the timetable.

Maybe when the new Luas extension to Citywest is opened this might finally give us the alternative to IE that we need.
Unread 28-01-2010, 07:51   #7
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilkea View Post
Maybe when the new Luas extension to Citywest is opened this might finally give us the alternative to IE that we need.
Luas from Citywest will take you an age to get into town, and the Citywest people will no doubt charge you a nice premium to park. You will also be spending a lot more time on the M7/M8. Doesn't sound like a great alternative!
Unread 02-02-2010, 14:19   #8
Kilkea
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin88 View Post
Luas from Citywest will take you an age to get into town, and the Citywest people will no doubt charge you a nice premium to park. You will also be spending a lot more time on the M7/M8. Doesn't sound like a great alternative!
I can get to Citywest in 30 mins from just outside Athy because of the new M9. I would then expect to get from Citywest to IFSC in around 45 mins (it is currently 30 mins from RedCow on Luas). Total 1hour 15mins door to door.
I currently drive 5 mins to Athy, and then have 1 hour 5mins to Heuston (assuming Irish Rail run on time) and then have probably 5 mins wait and 15mins on either Luas or 90 bus to IFSC. Total 1hour 30mins door to door (big assumption here that IE run on time).

There is a park and ride proposed for Citywest/Saggart and I have no problem paying a weekly fee for a secure, well kept, well lit carpark as opposed to paying a weekly fee for the IE carpark in Athy which is badly lit, crap CCTV, covered in potholes, no markings etc etc!

The biggest difference would be the option to leave work at anytime and get home, not to be held to IE's crazy timetables.