Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 19-05-2010, 16:04   #1
lightbulb
New to the board

Default SailRail London to Gort

Hello all,

I'm planning to travel from London to Gort in August by SailRail

My intended itinerary is as follows:

Euston 1210
Chester 1412

Chester 1425
Holyhead 1614

Holyhead 1715
Dublin 1915

Dublin Heuston 1130
Athenry 1347

Athenry 1638
Gort 1716

And returning

Gort 1521
Limerick 1628

Limerick 1655
Limerick Junction 1722

Limerick Junction 1732
Dublin Heuston 1930

Dublin 1430
Holyhead 1630

Holyhead 1721
Chester 1913

Chester 1955
Crewe 2018

Crewe 2047
Euston 2245

However, I'm coming up against a few problems.

When trying to book a return ticket over the phone, Gort is not listed as a destination. The nearest stations that I can buy a ticket to are Athenry and Ennis.

As I want to travel out via Athenry, and return via Ennis, will I be able to travel to and from Gort without being excessed?

If I buy a ticket to Athenry, but want to return from Gort via Limerick, would the ticket be valid?

The rules say that I have to complete my journey on the same day, but as the last train to Gort leaves Dublin (via Athenry) at 1525, I've no choice but to stay in Dublin overnight. Assuming that will be allowed, am I obliged to take the first train the next day, which is at 0730, or does the rule apply that I may recommence my journey by 1200 noon the next day as in the UK?

I'd also like to upgrade to 1st class, and as my travel between London and Holyhead and back will be on Saturdays, assume that Weekend First will be available on the train (on the Virgin part). Likewise, would I be able to take advantage of Club Class on board the Swift? Irish Rail also have 1st class upgrades available any day of the week. Are all these upgrades available in conjunction with Sailrail tickets? "The Man in Seat Sixty-one..." website specifically states that 1st class is only available by booking each portion of the journey separately.
lightbulb is offline   Reply With Quote