Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 20-12-2007, 23:23   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithStephen View Post
Anyone else even considered why IE are stopping all Rosslare services at Tara, Pearse & Dun Laoghaire
They stop at those stations because they are popular stations with connections, e.g. 7, 46A and ferries at Dun Laoghaire. There is also likely to be a DART in front of them.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-12-2007, 23:37   #2
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
They stop at those stations because they are popular stations with connections, e.g. 7, 46A and ferries at Dun Laoghaire. There is also likely to be a DART in front of them.
I know all this, I just wanted to see if people would also disagree with those stops but I guess its not turning out that way (haha )

I dont think there will ever be a Bray/Connolly direct for Rosslare ever again
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-12-2007, 01:18   #3
James Shields

Would you like them to extend the tracks up your front garden to save you the walk from the station?

Seriously, the purpose of the railway is to carry as many people as possible, and cutting out intermediate stops denies a proportion of the users from accessing the service. Unless there are enough Roslare passengers to fill the train on their own, you need the passengers for intermediate stops to keep the service viable.

Combining a Roslare service with a Maynooth/Longford/Sligo service saves a critical trackpath over the loop bridge, as one service is emptying as the other is filling up. I haven't experience of this, but I would expect that most passengers from the Maynooth leg will have alighted by Pearse, so even if you don't get a seat at Connolly, if you stand somewhere sensible you should be seated by Pearse.

And if you are left standing from time to time, try to remember the positive side - it means your line is growing and you can expect a greater range of services in the future.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-12-2007, 01:50   #4
ThomasJ

Good point James re. combining rosslare and maynooth services!

passenger numbers on those rosslare europort and gorey trains have more than doubled as a result of running to and from maynooth. and dundalk. surely that can only be a good thing for the worst performing line on the railway network?

I remember years ago when there was a 7.30 clonsilla to rosslare europort train (was an mk2 set) that was always crammed as far as connolly and i actually remember cold winter mornings that less than ten passengers would get on at connolly.... how times have changed !
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-12-2007, 02:01   #5
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
passenger numbers on those rosslare europort and gorey trains have more than doubled as a result of running to and from maynooth. and dundalk.
Can you proof this? When I see the Maynooth train coming into P5 most of the passengers have got off then the Rosslare passengers crowd the train most people still start there journey at Connolly. Arriving into Pearse not so much Tara St there is more passengers for the line. Passengers travelling on the Rosslare line know that Connolly is best to get a seat than arriving into Pearse with the coach full. I agree Thank God the line has seen an increase etc....
Unread 22-12-2007, 02:10   #6
ThomasJ

Sorry Keith all I am saying is because the train "double-jobs" at a busy peak hour time on the maynooth both to there and back its carrying alot more passengers than if it was to run to and from connolly.

I do agree with you keith that it the evening gorey and rosslare services are busy services but is taken ie putting on 4 carriage 29000 sets to show me that when that happens it looks like a very crammed service and that they should be six-car at all times.
Unread 22-12-2007, 02:19   #7
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
Sorry Keith all I am saying is because the train "double-jobs" at a busy peak hour time on the maynooth both to there and back its carrying alot more passengers than if it was to run to and from connolly
I know ThomasJ but Aaahhhh - Only another year until this will be addressed for Rosslare passengers. I think knowing to the fact that IE are short of Commuter Railcars and are using Rosslare services to Maynooth to also cover the Rosslare line but the sooner the new 22000 trains come on the better for all........
Unread 22-12-2007, 02:11   #8
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Shields View Post
Would you like them to extend the tracks up your front garden to save you the walk from the station?
As one service is emptying as the other is filling up. I haven't experience of this, but I would expect that most passengers from the Maynooth leg will have alighted by Pearse, so even if you don't get a seat at Connolly, if you stand somewhere sensible you should be seated by Pearse..
That would'nt work ....Believe me I'm far from lazy.
One service emptys while the other service fills with passengers fair enough but as you've said you dont have experenice of this. Its easy writing stand somewhere sensible by Pearse etc, But its a completely different situation when you see your train approaching the platform.........
I think people are starting to go to Connolly in order to try there best to get a seat rather than Pearse not so much Tara St.
All I'm saying is it was easier when the Rosslare train was standing at the platform in good time of its departure............
Unread 22-12-2007, 02:19   #9
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithStephen View Post
That would'nt work ....Believe me I'm far from lazy.
One service emptys while the other service fills with passengers fair enough but as you've said you dont have experenice of this. Its easy writing stand somewhere sensible by Pearse etc, But its a completely different situation when you see your train approaching the platform.........
I think people are starting to go to Connolly in order to try there best to get a seat rather than Pearse not so much Tara St.
All I'm saying is it was easier when the Rosslare train was standing at the platform in good time of its departure............
But keith having your train sitting at platform 5 for 10-20 minutes and as a result restricting the dart platforms of connolly to 2 is not a great resolution as the 6:00-7:00 is busy for all services. more than twenty services run though just those three platforms between 6 and 7 so restricting them to 2 is bound to cause disruption