Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-10-2006, 12:43   #81
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This was an obvious thing that would catch the system out, few of us even know that ticket exists

Blackrock can issue a ticket for the following day for the journey or maybe the bus driver should be given a stack of use once exit tickets and issue them to rail users

Thats actually too simple, must write to Joe Meagher in DB so

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 27-10-2006 at 13:33.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-10-2006, 13:29   #82
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

I had thought about that. I sometimes get a ticket on the Feeder to Blackrock and leave at Tara....

Maybe CIE will do something right and start putting ticket machines at bus stops.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 20:39   #83
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It doesn't retain single tickets, I checked
Unread 06-11-2006, 13:31   #84
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
It doesn't retain single tickets, I checked
I was actually about to post that. I used the exit side today and was shocked to see it doesn't retain tickets.

Seriously IE, you have surpassed yourselves here. You have take off the shelf technology and made a balls of it. Well done, you're not getting there, you're going back in time.
Unread 06-11-2006, 14:28   #85
al2637

I'm pretty sure it ate the ticket I bought from the ticket office, but returned the one from the TVM.... although that was a number of weeks ago... maybe it has changed?

As the TVM's don't issue receipts, I'd have them if they didn't return the ticket!
al2637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 14:37   #86
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2637 View Post
I'm pretty sure it ate the ticket I bought from the ticket office, but returned the one from the TVM.... although that was a number of weeks ago... maybe it has changed?

As the TVM's don't issue receipts, I'd have them if they didn't return the ticket!
Exactly correct, I had a TVM ticket.

In many cases the ticket has use after leaving the station eg valid on feeder bus and intercity passengers can break their journey

Only booking office can issue a receipt, from my experience the legal guys in IE are very on the ball in terms of legal matters on ticket sales, max coin change etc so it figures
Unread 06-11-2006, 14:54   #87
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Mine was from the TVM too. But still, how hard is it to get simple things right?

They are actually fast for exiting, you don't have to wait for the doors to close so if you are in a queue they are very quick. They seem to take a long time to read a counter bought ticket and open the doors though.
Unread 06-11-2006, 15:06   #88
al2637

I agree they are much quicker than the old style ones, but it really negates their use by keeping the gate open between passengers. Look at Clontarf Road at 8:30am when a Northbound Dart arrives... everyone just walks through.

Not that I'm complaining! I'm still all for an open-system.

(oh, and I'm not 100% sure it retained the ticket office ticket... it was a few weeks ago when the barriers were first introduced, and I was 1/2 asleep)

Last edited by al2637 : 06-11-2006 at 15:11.
Unread 06-11-2006, 15:08   #89
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Legally the setup is correct, either way it has no impact on the system. Keeping the ticket means very little, since the ticket won't allow you enter or exit again

I've had no problems with normal booking office issued tickets, unlimited tickets eg monthly are always faster on entry (no need to print on rear) but no different on exit to singles/returns

The question becomes what happens if the machine fills up with used tickets what does it do, shut down for exit or simply not retain the ticket ?
Unread 07-11-2006, 11:28   #90
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Legally the setup is correct, either way it has no impact on the system. Keeping the ticket means very little, since the ticket won't allow you enter or exit again
Keeping the ticket means a lot. It makes it simpler for people. As I keep saying, a disabled elephant can understand this, why can't IE?

Quote:
I've had no problems with normal booking office issued tickets, unlimited tickets eg monthly are always faster on entry (no need to print on rear) but no different on exit to singles/returns
They didn't print on the rear of the tickets I have used in Blackrock (2 now). They are just slow. A disabled elephant could sketch an escher picture quicker.

Quote:
The question becomes what happens if the machine fills up with used tickets what does it do, shut down for exit or simply not retain the ticket ?
That is a tough one. The disabled elephant empties them once, maybe more per day depending on how big the bin is and how busy the station is. I have no idea how IE could get over a conundrum like this. It has baffled other transport operators for years too. Oh wait, no, they keep the tickets in other countries.
Unread 07-11-2006, 14:45   #91
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
The tickets get stored and dumped on the track in Donabate.
some get scattered around the car parks too....
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 10:13   #92
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

The machines at Blackrock do not keep tickets, TVM or ticket office issued. I checked today.

I am actually impressed. IE have managed to make a mess of something that other operators have done for years. They truely are one of the, if not the, worst rail operator in the developed world. Give yourselves a pat on the back lads but don't get too comfortable. There is a disabled elephant who is coming for your jobs.
Unread 08-11-2006, 10:33   #93
al2637

Quote:
IE have managed to make a mess of something that other operators have done for years.
I'm not a fan of Exit Validation at all, but I don't see too many problems with the way IE have implemented it. I (along with plenty of others) DON'T want it to retain my ticket.
Unread 08-11-2006, 10:42   #94
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

To be honest who cares if it keeps the ticket? It in no way impacts on the systems functionailty the entire point of exit validation is to ensure you have a valid ticket it works. The machines are provided by one of the world leaders in revenue collection so its decent kit

What we do know is it can keep tickets, we also know there is sound legal reasons for not retaining the tickets owing to the right to obtain a receipt
Unread 08-11-2006, 11:10   #95
markpb

There are two very good reasons which it should keep tickets. One is that is speeds up exit because people just walk through and forget about their tickets. The second is, seeing as this is Ireland, it will clean up the areas around train stations by denying people the chance to drop their tickets on the ground as soon as they leave.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 11:42   #96
packetswitch

As far as I remember a single on the Underground in London is retained by the exit validator. However, when you buy a ticket from a machine, you have an option to print a receipt at the same time. For times when I've wanted to 'keep the ticket' (i.e. for an expenses claim), this has been fine.
packetswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 11:44   #97
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
There are two very good reasons which it should keep tickets. One is that is speeds up exit because people just walk through and forget about their tickets. The second is, seeing as this is Ireland, it will clean up the areas around train stations by denying people the chance to drop their tickets on the ground as soon as they leave.
Beaten to it. Thanks Mark, that is exactly what I was going to say.

The other problem is the slowness of entry. Far slower than London or Paris.
Unread 08-11-2006, 12:36   #98
Mark

http://www.franklinandrews.com/proje...=type&id=24423

http://www.scheidt-bachmann.com/cont...egory/171/180/
http://www.needham-group.com/cocoon/...are/gates.html

http://www.scheidt-bachmann.com/imag...%20Systems.pdf

(Page 19 and 20)

Last edited by Mark : 08-11-2006 at 12:59.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 12:49   #99
zag
Regular Poster

Default Ho, ho, ho

Ho, ho, ho, those canny designers/engineers sure have a sense of humour in the F&A picture above. They obviously aren't familiar with the IE design philosophy covering ease of movement within stations. If only we could have a DART station with that number of gates lined up directly facing an entrance/exit *and* the access to the platforms.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 18:52   #100
Oisin88

Default "rugged but beautiful"

Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote