Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-11-2013, 11:02   #1
joey
Regular Poster

0900 ex Sligo is a four car 22k set this morning

Very busy no room from Carrick / Longford onwards

I'd say they are tinkering, well hopefully as the config are not right at the moment.
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:06   #2
joey
Regular Poster

I am going to refrain from giving out as I get shot down by other folk here on this forum.

So much for getting an earlier train for a little confort to avoid the 29k later on
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:41   #3
joey
Regular Poster

No ticket inspection for the whole journey, normally they are rampant on the Sligo line at least once but almost every time checked twice.
Unread 01-11-2013, 12:49   #4
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
0900 ex Sligo is a four car 22k set this morning

Very busy no room from Carrick / Longford onwards

I'd say they are tinkering, well hopefully as the config are not right at the moment.
When you say "no room" - what exactly do you mean?
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 13:01   #5
joey
Regular Poster

No sitting room all seats taken, standing room only.

Plenty standing from Longford onwards to Dublin.

Im not giving out merely expressing a view. Thankfully I'd a seat as I started my journey in Sligo, but wouldnt have fancied paying an already extortianated fare to stand for an hour n three quarters
Unread 01-11-2013, 13:04   #6
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
No sitting room all seats taken, standing room only.

Plenty standing from Longford onwards to Dublin.

Im not giving out merely expressing a view. Thankfully I'd a seat as I started my journey in Sligo, but wouldnt have fancied paying an already extortianated fare to stand for an hour n three quarters
I don't necessarily disagree - but I do wonder how this is going to be sorted out, given that there will only be 18 3 piece sets to go around.
Unread 01-11-2013, 13:21   #7
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

It's 100% fact there will be to many 4 and not enough 3 piece sets. If Sligo can't manage it then other routes won't be able to at all.

I think they are going to have to come up with a 50/50 split in train sizes only realistic options to reduce costs (from current levels) but maintain a service.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 13:39   #8
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
I don't necessarily disagree - but I do wonder how this is going to be sorted out, given that there will only be 18 3 piece sets to go around.
Oh for goodness sake - just go and sit on someone's knee
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:34   #9
maloner
New to the board

Default Midlands 103 10am: 17:05 last week was an absolute train crash

Childern & OAPs sitting on the floor in toilets.

I use the train for business & am back in the car this week - no seats from mullingar.

Midlands 103 are running a feature at 10am on it this morning.

Call in & voice your concerns.

Twitter hashtag #shorttrain

Last edited by maloner : 04-11-2013 at 08:40.
maloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:47   #10
James Howard

What kind of numptys are Irish Rail? This train is usually packed to the rafters as a 6-car. As a daily commuter I avoid it as a matter of course between October and Christmas. But 4 cars for the 17:05 is taking the piss.

7 cars for the 0545 this morning is lovely and comfy now that they have managed to drive away enough customers. 6 was right for this train on a Monday, 4 is too short but 7 is definitely too long now.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 17:38   #11
Jamie2k9

Appears 17.05 is back to a 6 piece, while the 16.00 has dropped to 4.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:06   #12
James Howard

But that can only be a temporary solution given that 6-pieces are supposed to be going. This is utter madness. The 0545 is packed again this morning - a few standing from Mullingar, nobody from Enfield onwards with seats.

A friend was on the 1505 down train last Thursday after managing to get out from work early. It was a 3 car train and he stood all the way to Edgeworthstown.

These are people who get the train every day and who use the commute time to get some work done or to relax a bit on the the way to work. How can this possibly be positive Irish Rail's finances? With the fare increase, it is now getting marginal as to the difference in running cost for a cheap car if you have free parking in the city centre.

Would it be madness to suggest that this is deliberate in order to drive down the viability of the railway and so when the calls come to start shutting stuff down, people won't mind so much?
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:42   #13
lambo77
Regular Poster

As a mullingar commuter I have no intention of paying nearly 1600 Euro a year net for my annual ticket to stand for 1.5 hours in both directions. Irish rail obviously don't have any mensa members! Cutting Capacity on peak services that were already busy is ridiculus
lambo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:30   #14
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
But that can only be a temporary solution given that 6-pieces are supposed to be going. This is utter madness. The 0545 is packed again this morning - a few standing from Mullingar, nobody from Enfield onwards with seats.

A friend was on the 1505 down train last Thursday after managing to get out from work early. It was a 3 car train and he stood all the way to Edgeworthstown.

These are people who get the train every day and who use the commute time to get some work done or to relax a bit on the the way to work. How can this possibly be positive Irish Rail's finances? With the fare increase, it is now getting marginal as to the difference in running cost for a cheap car if you have free parking in the city centre.

Would it be madness to suggest that this is deliberate in order to drive down the viability of the railway and so when the calls come to start shutting stuff down, people won't mind so much?
It should be perfectly possible to retain either 6pce or 7pce operation on the 05:45 from Sligo and 17:05 return with the stock available - while the sets are being reformed there may be an issue.

What was the 05:45 formed of this morning?

The 15:05 has always been a 3-car train, except on Fridays when it was extended to a 6 piece. So nothing has changed about that.