Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-01-2008, 21:46   #1
TheBoss
New to the board

Default New Portlaoise service

What do commuters think of the new morning services from Portlaoise to Heuston?

The 6.30am seems to be working ok ?

I get the new intercity railcar at 6.51 (ex Limerick).

I'm getting used (just about) to the reduced leg room !

Time keeping is good (much better than last year).

But it is bloody cold on the train !!! I'm told by someone on the inside that it's the AC not working properly - 'needs a complete overhaul' - hopefully they'll get it sorted very quickly.
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 22:24   #2
Derek Wheeler

I heard something similar recently. Heating and AC not agreeing with a cold Irish day. A problem last week by accounts I received.

Anyone else notice this?

And please no posts about how cute, quieter than an 071 loco they are or anything remotely similar.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 23:23   #3
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Air conditioning shouldn't be on on a cold day now really.
Heating should obviously
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 20:08   #4
Portarlington Mini
New to the board

0630 ex-Portlaoise seems to be fairly punctual in general. Busy enough from Newbridge inwards and contrary to certain publications and announcements does not stop at Clondalkin.

Overall this 2008 timetable seems to be a big improvement over 2007 - at least from the Portarlington/Port Laoise commuter perspective but there are still some horrendous gaps in the shoulder and off-peaks - woe betide anyone who has say a dentist appointment and wants to come in a bit late or go home a bit early - effectively you have to take a half day unless you want to drive.
Portarlington Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2008, 11:55   #5
TheBoss
New to the board

Yep, I agree ...... one month in .... and the new trains are a lot more reliable and punctual.

I commute from Portlaoise on the 6.50am train (ex Limerick) - one of the new railcars.

The heating is now working and I've got used to the smaller space !

One strange thing about the train is the fact that it is 2 x 3 cars 'joined' together. While this is fine for daily commuters, if you were travelling from Limerick and wanted a cuppa and the trolley is in the other half ..... well then thats just tough ! I believ that they are bringing in the 6-car train eventually.

Overall, a good service.
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2008, 12:14   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Reports we have received indicate time keeping to be reasonable (as in ok by normal Irish expectations but poor on a international basis). We have recieved solid data on the 05:35 Limerick Dublin

The new railcars on the service have delievered a considerable step up in reliability and punctuality, still far from ideal but better, waiting on the Jan 08 data

Full 6 coach sets are due to land in Ireland in the coming weeks

The 6:30 arrives in before all the trouble starts so has a easy time, less risk of delay. Once the new depot is opened in Portloaise you can pretty much assume 100% punctual departures every morning
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2008, 12:16   #7
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post

One strange thing about the train is the fact that it is 2 x 3 cars 'joined' together. While this is fine for daily commuters, if you were travelling from Limerick and wanted a cuppa and the trolley is in the other half ..... well then thats just tough ! I believ that they are bringing in the 6-car train eventually.
6 cars are arriving this year, fairly soon. 3 cars are intercity, the commuter versions of these trains have not yet arrived
Unread 05-02-2008, 21:51   #8
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
if you were travelling from Limerick and wanted a cuppa and the trolley is in the other half ..... well then thats just tough !.
On that point, I also noticed that when the train leaves Connolly just after the time you are told to have your ticket at hand and ready for inspection. Well I was onboard the 11:05 last week and the announcement came on but it was at Edgeworthstown when the guy came to me. I said how did it take so long for him to get to me . He was stuck on the first three sets of the train and had to wait for the next station available
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote