Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Waterford
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What Shall we do?
Close Thread 43 86.00%
Move to Member Section 3 6.00%
Impale Mark G for letting this one slip through the net 4 8.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 17-12-2007, 20:23   #1
crypto

Default Additional track Cherryville Junction to Kilkenny

Hello,

New member, apologies for the forthcoming n00bish questions. There was clearly an second track from Cherryville Junction to Kilkenny at one stage, I was wondering when this was lifted?

Secondly, is there any suggestion of relaying this (second) track? I understand that the throughput of the current line probably doesn't justify an additional line. However, surely journey times would be improved, not to mention reliability. All of the bridges appear to support an additional track, and I would assume I.E. own the property along the route. I was stuck in Carlow for several minutes recently waiting for an incoming train, these kinds of delays would be eliminated with an additional track, one would assume. Surely the cost would be cheaper per km that say reopening the WRC, as there wouldn't be the cost of eliminating level crossings etc?

On a separate note, is there any section of the line which would be a candidate for re-alignment a la the current work at Portalington?

Thanks.