Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-10-2010, 13:01   #1
ThomasJ

Default [6-10-2010] CIE/IE Before Transport commitee

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/...e-1950-en.html

Iarnrod Eireann and CIE will appear before the transport committee later today, wednesday 6th october scheduled for 3:45

the live stream is at http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp...m&CatID=83&m=o

Written Transcript of the session should also go up on http://debates.oireachtas.ie/Committ...Dail=30&Cid=TR
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 14:49   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its been suspended to allow a vote

Interestingly the previously invisible Phil Verster, CME and deputy CEO of IE is in.

Edit back but in private session

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 06-10-2010 at 15:10.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 15:13   #3
weehamster

What was the vote for? and why has it gone private?
Unread 06-10-2010, 15:14   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehamster View Post
What was the vote for? and why has it gone private?
This is normal, the first 15 minutes is always private session

Vote was in the Seanad
Unread 06-10-2010, 15:20   #5
weehamster

ahh...and there was me thinking that it was a vote to turn the session into a private one. Thanks Mark.

err...still private @ 16:50, are CIE/IE acting the mick?

Last edited by weehamster : 06-10-2010 at 15:51.
weehamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 15:53   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

And we are back...
Unread 06-10-2010, 17:23   #7
weehamster

Well that was a bit of fun regarding the corporate boxes in Croke Pk and Lansdowne Rd. 3 boxes in total 2 are so called rented out in which we aren't allowed to know how much is made from them and 1 for there personal use. I love to know who was in those photos. I wonder if we will ever find out.

I really don't like the way that the CIE board wont resign over the viaduct collapse and I especially dont like the way why CIE are exempt from the freedom of Information act. How did get this. Are there plans to include them in the future. Would there be a long term plan to fully replace the viaduct with a modern structure?

I look forward to the next committee with CIE which I can safely say will happen.
Unread 07-10-2010, 10:16   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Commercial Semi State bodies in existence before FOI came into being are excluded. The reality is CIE is not under FOI, but given they have to hand over nearly everything to the NTA, RSC, RAIU and DoT it makes little difference as they fall under FOI.

The viaduct is fine, all piers now have some class of piled support. Had it been maintained correctly in the first place it would have carried a risk and higher maintenance costs but would have been well within the acceptable limits
Unread 07-10-2010, 21:49   #9
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default CIÉ chief urged to step down over 'lies'

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...280567392.html
Quote:
CIÉ chief urged to step down over 'lies'
TIM O'BRIEN

CIÉ CHAIRMAN John Lynch and senior management were accused of telling “lies” and asked to resign at a meeting of the Oireachtas Committee on Transport yesterday.

The accusations arose during a debate on the causes of the collapse of the Malahide viaduct which occurred on August 21st, 2009, seconds after an Iarnród Éireann train crossed.

The committee which was hearing evidence from Dr Lynch,Iarnród Éireann managing director Dick Fern and senior colleagues heard accusations that Iarnród Éireann had told a lie to the Railway Safety Commission in relation to assurances that a marine “scour” management plan had been put in place in line with a key safety report.

Fine Gael TD Fergus O’Dowd said a deliberate “untruth” had endangered the lives of all passengers who crossed the Malahide viaduct at least since 2006.

He said CIÉ had told the Railway Safety Commission that a scour management plan was in place, and he did not see how this could have happened unless it was “an absolute lie”. Addressing Dr Lynch he said: “You said you had such a plan and Iarnród Éireann needs to be cleaned out and the board needs to be cleared out”.

Mr Fern said it was not true the company had misled the Railway Safety Commission on fulfilling a safety recommendation for a scour management plan in the estuary. He said the company had put in place an inspection regime but the fault had been not appreciating that the piers of the viaduct were not sunk into the foundations at the weir.

Mr Fern told the committee management accepted accountability, but accountability did not mean “walking away and leaving it to someone else.” Dr Lynch asked that he and his colleagues not be called liars and he was supported by acting committee chairman Timmy Dooley (FF) who asked Mr O’Dowd to respect parliamentary processes.

Mr O’Dowd then said he would amend his remarks to “a deliberate falsehood”. He said the company had told the Railway Safety Commission “an untrue statement that was untrue”. He said “I think you should resign your position” and without resignations he would not have confidence in CIÉ.

Independent Senator Shane Ross said in any independent company the chairman and chief executive would have resigned. He said the company was still “appalling” at providing information on its activities and was not subject to the Freedom of Information Act.

Labour transport spokesman Joe Costello said it was “a miracle” hundreds of people had not been killed and he did not believe it was “good enough” to simply “apologise and regret the disruption”. Mr Costello said the evidence was that senior management was “negligent” both at CIÉ and at the Railway Safety Commission. He added Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey should also shoulder responsibility for what happened.

Dr Lynch and Mr Fern apologised for the incident.

But they reiterated that changes had been made and new safety management systems and personnel had been put in place.