Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Luas Customer Service Issues > Luas Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-10-2008, 15:58   #1
Coolmine99
New to the board

Location: In the disputed area of Castleknock / Carpenterstown
Default LUAS to Lucan

10/10/2008 - 15:35:19 (www.breakingnews.ie)

The route of the planned new Luas through west Dublin was unveiled today with tram lines running from Trinity College in the city centre to Lucan.

Operators expect an extra 25 million commuters to use the growing network but it could be early 2011 before work begins.

Journey times are expected to be around 45 minutes on the 15km route.

A spokesman for the Railway Procurement Agency said: “We would expect that journey times would be similar to the Tallaght journey. We would expect around 45 minutes.”

No price tag has been put on the huge project but planners insisted they are aiming to minimise disruption in the city.

“We would have to speed up time spent building the lines, that would be our intention, and we have already done that with the Docklands,” the RPA spokesman said.

“The man in the street might have felt we left areas unfinished during construction. We would certainly be more focused on limiting any disruption in all areas but particularly the likes of Thomas Street and Dean Street.”

The 15km Line F will start on College Green heading west along Dame Street to Christchurch before joining the existing Red Line at Fatima or St James’s Hospital.

Five stops later trams will continue west into Ballyfermot through Cherry Orchard and out of the city to Liffey Valley and a possible park and ride before stopping at Quarryvale, Castle Road, Griffeen Valley and the Newcastle Road.

It is also planned to build stops linking with the proposed Metro West and Metro North, rail and bus services.

Details on locations of stops have to be finalised in the coming months before a railway order is submitted in July 2010,
Coolmine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 17:22   #2
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

massive single point of failure on the interline between James' and Blackhorse... one broken down tram, broken rail, accident and it gums up Red Line which is already massively subscribed and Line F.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 18:01   #3
chris
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
massive single point of failure on the interline between James' and Blackhorse... one broken down tram, broken rail, accident and it gums up Red Line which is already massively subscribed and Line F.
But realistically what's the alternative. I don't think the line is massively oversubscribed even if the trams are.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 22:28   #4
weehamster

Emerging preferred route

I'm just wondering if it will make any difference if the Red line swaps its route with line F. After James's the Red line heads to Trinity and Line F heads to Heuston and Connolly.

I think it would have been better if the line went with option 2 to Stephens Green via Kevin St etc instead heading down Dame St, though it would have been tight.

Also I like the option for a depot in CIE Inchicore. I would say CIE would just love that.

Last edited by weehamster : 10-10-2008 at 22:34.
weehamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 22:40   #5
Derek Wheeler

Sorry to spoil the party, but this will never be built anyway. Its merely academics from the RPA as they spend the last of their budget rolling out their obligations under the fantasy novel that is T21.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 23:22   #6
Rushed2nowhere
New to the board

The Luas extension between Connolly and the Docklands cost 60 million per kilometre.
This means that line F to Lucan will cost at least 900 hundred million euro, also
unlike the port tunnel the taoiseach doesn't live in any of the constituencies it goes through so it won't be built.
Rushed2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 09:25   #7
weehamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
Sorry to spoil the party, but this will never be built anyway. Its merely academics from the RPA as they spend the last of their budget rolling out their obligations under the fantasy novel that is T21.
Yes Derek you are spoiling the party. Sorry you have to leave. Bad Derek.
Maybe if you instead say it will be built later than planed instead of never, then you could come back to the party. This can make you much less negative (keeping us happy) and realistic too (keep you happy)

Seriously, I can safely say that we all want to see T21 to be finished eventually (even though its not perfect). So all you need to do is accept that the time frame is to slip back. That doesn't mean that the projects must be cancelled too.
Unread 11-10-2008, 18:03   #8
dowlingm

Connolly-Docklands costs would only be comparable from James' to Trinity thought you'd think?
Unread 12-10-2008, 15:17   #9
ccos

land and labour should get cheaper soon
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 19:33   #10
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehamster View Post
Yes Derek you are spoiling the party. Sorry you have to leave. Bad Derek.
Maybe if you instead say it will be built later than planed instead of never, then you could come back to the party. This can make you much less negative (keeping us happy) and realistic too (keep you happy)

Seriously, I can safely say that we all want to see T21 to be finished eventually (even though its not perfect). So all you need to do is accept that the time frame is to slip back. That doesn't mean that the projects must be cancelled too.
And Time will prove one of us correct eventually, depending on your definition of "time frame is to slip back".

Parties like this need people like me to stop you all getting drunk and making fools of yourself.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-10-2008, 18:23   #11
Dkettle

I really like the Luas, and when I'm in Dublin I find excuses to use it. However it is the Louis Vitton of people carriers. This route is a total and utter waste of money. Think of how many buses and bus lanes you would get in west Dublin for this money... I'm sure the current climate wouldn't allow for that either.

But it does raise one question, post interconnector (....) shouldn't there be a Dart station at Kylemore Park, with a decent bus connection. Run feeders to Park West, Fonthill, Clonburris and Adamstown from their catchment areas (not massive snaking "feeders" that the DART used to have) and get everyone into town from these areas in 30-35 minutes. Would save hundreds of millions and do the same thing.

Or just split the 78A bus so that it doesn't waste so much time trying serve Liffey Valley and Neilstown.

Or do nothing....
Dkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-10-2008, 21:27   #12
dowlingm

Dkettle - bus lanes are no good because the 5-0 won't enforce them.
Unread 15-10-2008, 23:55   #13
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkettle View Post
when I'm in Dublin I find excuses to use it.
I do too!!! Some of my excuses are quite perverted though.
Unread 22-10-2008, 09:29   #14
ccos

I've heard about guys like u on the Tokoyo metro
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote