Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-12-2007, 14:21   #1
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Default Colbert Station redevelopment

I see that Limerick City Council knocked back the redevelopment and it's off to ABP (shades of Kent - CIE can't seem to get the local authorities onside).

The plans apparently call for the removal of two tracks. Were these solely used for freight (i.e. there's no chance that IE are reducing their capacity to get out of expanding service later?)
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 22:07   #2
Rushed2nowhere
New to the board

Talking

I'm also curious to know what work is being done on Limerick station.The last time I saw it the whole exterior facade was covered in scaffolding.

Limerick station is horrible inside,aesthetically wise.

Also in the next 10 years extra capacity (for both trains and people) will have to be provided as there will surly be more commuter services from Nenagh and Ennis and probably more services to and from Dublin and Waterford.

I wouldn't be surprised if the line out to Adare is reopened in the next 20 years as well.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the bus station (right beside the station) runs out of capacity in these next 10 years.

I think serious thought by the council,IE and Bus Eireann will have to put on Colbert station and surroundings or we may have problems in the next decade.

(I take no responsibility if someone in the above mentioned agencies has a heart attack due to the notion of long term planning implied)
Rushed2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2007, 19:33   #3
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushed2nowhere View Post
(I take no responsibility if someone in the above mentioned agencies has a heart attack due to the notion of long term planning implied)
They're too thick for that to happen.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2007, 10:04   #4
Brian.Stokes

Bit of a misunderstanding here lads check the facts.

Its the new bus station that was refused planning permission the station is moving from its current location on the right hand side of the train station to the left hand side.

Currently the area is mainly used as a car park and has two unused rail lines. The bus station has reached capacity and is very customer/passenger unfriendly.

The Council refused planning to Bus Eireann on a few items but one was on how the traffic movement s would impact on the proposed orbital route for the city. The Architects for Bus Eireann said it was unfair to refuse the application on a proposed route that might not happen. I think thats a bit glib as the route is happening.

O'Connell Street is to be pedestrianised in the next 18 months so an orbital route will be required.

Not sure what the scaffolding is for outside the station at present. More than likely repair and maintenance to the facade.
Brian.Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2007, 17:08   #5
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Brian - thanks for the clarification. As a former UL stude I am all too familiar with the rather awkward layout of the station

My question I guess was whether there was a chance that we might regret the buses taking out the currently unused trackage if increases to Ennis/Nenagh/Dublin etc. warranted it down the road. After Broadstone it wouldn't be the first time buses took over rail facilities that might end up becoming rail again.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote