Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-05-2014, 11:46   #1
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

30 seconds is nowhere near enough to get off an ICR if you are in the middle of a car and it suddenly pulls into your station with no warning. It takes me twice as long to pack up my laptop and get ready to leave and I've been doing it 4 times a week for 10 years.

Also, there is no train back down from Enfield after the 1800 up-train so she would be stuck with trying her luck with a bus or a taxi.

That's a good point regarding Connolly station and tourists. Most trains actually display "Connolly Station" - why not "Dublin Connolly" which is shorter. It is a train so is self-evident that it is going to a station. Where's it going to go, Connolly Ice-cream parlour?

Again, the notice saying X-hundred euro fine for misuse could easily scare somebody into keeping quiet in this case. Who is to say what is misuse and is it going to be different if the driver has had a row with his wife the same day?
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:40   #2
Jamie2k9

Quote:
30 seconds is nowhere near enough to get off an ICR if you are in the middle of a car and it suddenly pulls into your station with no warning. It takes me twice as long to pack up my laptop and get ready to leave and I've been doing it 4 times a week for 10 years.

Also, there is no train back down from Enfield after the 1800 up-train so she would be stuck with trying her luck with a bus or a taxi.

That's a good point regarding Connolly station and tourists. Most trains actually display "Connolly Station" - why not "Dublin Connolly" which is shorter. It is a train so is self-evident that it is going to a station. Where's it going to go, Connolly Ice-cream parlour?

Again, the notice saying X-hundred euro fine for misuse could easily scare somebody into keeping quiet in this case. Who is to say what is misuse and is it going to be different if the driver has had a row with his wife the same day?
The 30 seconds could easily not be totally correct and for example if it was 45 or 50 seconds stopped. Mark can you access the train data?

I don't believe there is a notice about fines for the intercom beside it and the driver would not have the power to say you have being fined and to be honest there has not being any such case reported in the media so I expect IE have never collected a penny for such fines. The same with the smoking fines.

I agree that Dublin Connolly should be displayed and the same at Heuston which doesn't happen however the Mark 4 sets use Dublin Heuston.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 11:59   #3
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post

Most Intercity stops are scheduled for 1 or 2 minutes, with the only exceptions being stops at small halts which may be 30 seconds. If the electronic pa system is not working, then of course the driver should be announcing each stop in advance. I would hope that IE would cover the cost of that lady getting from Enfield back to Mullingar as it would be the least that they could do.

And I'd agree that the displays should read "Dublin Connolly" - that makes far more sense.

However, I don't agree with your comments about using the alarm buttons. If you find yourself in a situation such as that outlined above, or where anti-social behaviour was taking place, and you do use the button, then you will not be penalised for doing so.

The signs are there to deter messers from pressing it out of devilment rather than anyone with a legitimate problem. Anyone with what they consider a legitimate reason will not be penalised, and I think to suggest otherwise is frankly daft.

I think that you are to a degree scaremongering in this regard and frankly being unnecessarily insulting to professional railway staff by your last comment.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 12:42   #4
James Howard

Are we really disputing whether a train was stopped for 30 or 45 seconds and asking that people spend time looking up the dwell time?

I'm not scaremongering, just stating the obvious in that people are reluctant to use the emergency communication button for fear of being accused of mis-using it.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 12:56   #5
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
Are we really disputing whether a train was stopped for 30 or 45 seconds and asking that people spend time looking up the dwell time?

I'm not scaremongering, just stating the obvious in that people are reluctant to use the emergency communication button for fear of being accused of mis-using it.
No I'm not disputing that at all - just pointing out that it shouldn't have been stopped for 30 seconds at Mullingar - I'm agreeing with the OP that it shouldn't have happened. The only place 30 second stops take place are (and should be) small halts.

I think you are scaremongering with regard to the alarm button. It's utter nonsense suggesting people are going to be afraid of using it. Are we to become a complete nanny state that everyone needs their hand held at all times? I think people need to grow up a little if they do.

Your last line of the original post was completely OTT about railway staff.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 12:43   #6
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Ah, forget about using the train (Dublin - Sligo or visaversa), use the car - quicker and far more comfortable.

Last edited by grainne whale : 07-05-2014 at 12:56.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote