Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-10-2008, 12:34   #1
crypto

Default Reilly's level crossing

A recent letter in the Herald below. What are the chances of the level crossing being closed, given the apparent scale of the local opposition?

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/letters...s-1478446.html

Don't pass over the flyover plans

Friday September 19 2008

In response to A Perry's letter (Herald Letters, September 12), I am disappointed that Cabra Community Council are against the proposed flyover bridge at Reilly's Bridge, Ratoath Road, Cabra.

I work for Irish Rail and operating the manual level crossing gates at Reilly's Bridge is part of my duties.

As A Perry correctly points out, over 13,000 vehicles use the level crossing every day. Also, up to 90 trains can pass over the crossing on an given day, which can lead to traffic congestion.

Irish Rail are proposing to increase the number and frequency of trains, as they plan to introduce the Dart to the Maynooth rail line and re-open the Dunboyne rail line by 2012. A flyover bridge would be a better alternative.

Also, my colleagues and I sometimes have to deal with uncooperative drivers refusing to stop when a train is coming and incidents of anti-social behaviour.

Although, I can sympathise with A Perry's position, I also have to think of my own health and safety and that of my colleagues, as long as a level crossing remains at this location.

For that reason, I'm for the flyover.

M SHANLEY DUBLIN 15
crypto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-10-2008, 14:13   #2
eugene

I live on the Finglas side of this railway crossing and yes a fly over is the only solution to this issue

From what I have heard on this forum in the past, is that location was always going to have a flyover built, but certain local opposition repeatedly cancelled this upgrade.

I got a newsletter from Pat Carey and this flyover is listed as taking up to 42 months from initial design to completion. This is on the assumption of no more local opposition, maybe people are looking for the few bob or something.

That route into town (Ratoath Road) had always been a busy road. I haven't seen the earlier letter but I guess traffic is the main concern
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-10-2008, 14:26   #3
ThomasJ

Surely re. local residents who oppose this surely it canot be any worst than it is at the moment. Take your pick.... congestion or no congestion?
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-10-2008, 15:08   #4
eugene

NIMBYism you know!

But seriously Irish Rail are supposed to start the resignalling and level crossing works on the Maynooth Line next year. I don't know if Reillys Bridge will be sorted but if Pat Careys estimation is correct with no delays, it could be sorted by 2012.

This flyover is needed so the new train station at Pelletstown (Royal Canal Park) beside the crossing can be built too.

A lot is dependent on this level crossing being sorted.

Last edited by eugene : 16-10-2008 at 15:17.
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-10-2008, 16:07   #5
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
Surely re. local residents who oppose this surely it canot be any worst than it is at the moment. Take your pick.... congestion or no congestion?
I get the impression the residents objection is because their properties would become overlooked.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 18-10-2008 at 10:07.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-10-2008, 16:32   #6
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
I get te impression the residents objection is because their properties would become overlooked.
Fair point! When you on a Maynooth train approaching Connolly there is the second floor of a house there (just beside ballybough/summerhill at the bridge) The train always comes to a stop aroundabout that spot! It really does need blinds!

Although i cannot see a flyover getting that close to houses in the area I cant see planning making that mistake!
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote