Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 18-12-2007, 22:33   #1
Derek Wheeler

Default Christmas decorations!!!

You know, this forum always lacked a bit of festive spirit. Its all moaning, grumbling, negativity and even some sublime positivity. It doesn't matter what religion (if any) you are. Despite all the greed, consumerism and blatant selfishness at this time of year, Christmas is still a custom. It means different things to people. I know some people just treat it as a time to spend waaaayyy beyond their means, give to charity because it helps their conscience, say hi to people they ignore the rest of the year,get pissed in a way they only do once a year and even fall foul to a drunken shag that they will regret for ever more.

For me its a time that children deserve to be treated well. (Santa theme) Its a time to embrace your christianity if you are a christian. (Religious theme) Its a time to really appreciate your family and friends without the drunken christmas party. (Human theme) The end of one year and the start of another. (reality theme) It is not an excuse to spend like ****, be ignorant and hypocritical and generally use it to act like a total asshole. So if you get a chance to stop and reflect, think about some of these things. Its Christmas, a time that used to be special, but is now the domain of extravagance, undue pressure, aggression and staus. Expensive gifts just for the sake of it. This is the new wealthy Ireland. What a pity.

This christmas, try not to get pissed beyond your ability, don't donate to a charity unless you normally do, don't go to mass unless you do so regularly and don't try and spend your way to a happy christmas because financial institutions don't think in the same seasonal terms.

Apart from that, have a happy christmas season and try to avoid being a mere statistic in the CSO's new year figures, by being honest to yourself. As I am always honest with myself, I present the first christmas decoration to the forum. (below)

Name:  xmas dec..jpg
Views: 266
Size:  3.1 KB
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote