Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-10-2006, 19:48   #1
Philly
Regular Poster

Default This week

My week in review:

Monday - Train running at least an hour late.
Tuesday - Neither train arrive to Heuston / Newbridge on time
Wednesday - Same as above
Thursday - Trains late again. Also, an IE employee was smoking at the door of the 17.10 to Atlone, as was a lady and a teenage lad. I though this was against the rules?
Friday - Both trains late again. The 29000 breaks down for a little while on the way home just as it goes past Inchicore.

Shockingly, not one train I got this week was on time. Most didn't leave on time.

Pretty mad really.
Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2006, 20:29   #2
Derek Wheeler

My advice is to go out and get drunk, if you drink. Next week might be different.

It would help us, if you could document the approx. times and delays over the last week and post them here asap. Ive a Sunday night deadline for Kildare media.

A little "expose" always helps to improve things.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2006, 21:45   #3
Philly
Regular Poster

Talking

Ha well, from now on I'll keep note of details!

I just thought it was a bid crazy, with not one train being on time ina whole week!

I'm probably owed a fortune in refunds!
Unread 11-10-2006, 09:09   #4
sandraoh
Regular Poster

Default 07:24 Portlaoise - Dublin 11-10-06

The train didn't leave Portlaoise until 07:50 but still left before the 07:41 train did.The the external door at the first class end of the dining car didn't work. I moved one carriage down to find a seat. The internal door beside me was stuck half open (or half closed) and the 2 train hosts just squeezed through it instead of trying to fix it. It was freezing. Eventually, the on board cleaning guy game and forced the door to open fully. Eventually the violent rocking of the rain brough it back to half open again. Train arrived 17 minutes late in Heuston - no apology - no explanation.
Unread 11-10-2006, 10:32   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

External door at the first class end of the dining car is not needed for use by passengers (its normally locked on a Mk3), its a very tight fit down the corridor.

That was the 5:30 Cork Dublin, it was a Mk4 set

If anyone has filled a official complaint we would be very interested to know IE's excuse, by total chance I learned something interesting on Saturday which solved the riddle
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2006, 11:31   #6
sandraoh
Regular Poster

what kind of complaint am i filing?
Unread 11-10-2006, 11:33   #7
sandraoh
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
External door at the first class end of the dining car is not needed for use by passengers (its normally locked on a Mk3), its a very tight fit down the corridor.
Come to think of it, i think it was the door at the other end of the dining car because a person who was trying to get out the door had to wade past loads of people boarding the train.
Unread 11-10-2006, 12:15   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandraoh
what kind of complaint am i filing?
Skip Customer Services Heuston go directly to Steve or Myles. Note the Heuston customer service office is backlogged already

Be very interesting to get on paper the excuse and then proceed to pull it apart
Unread 11-10-2006, 17:21   #9
sandraoh
Regular Poster

how do i go directly to them?
Unread 12-10-2006, 09:03   #10
Philly
Regular Poster

Mark has to chase them. Whenever they see him they leg it. Keeps both parties fit though.

Unread 12-10-2006, 10:49   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly
Mark has to chase them. Whenever they see him they leg it. Keeps both parties fit though.

I prefer the you can't hide from me on the train, what you gonna do get off? Its a bit like the cold war spy game we all know who we are and which trains we are on and everyone goes about there normal business.

Seriously though I get the feeling management don't have any comprehension of how bad things are and most importantly what is actually wrong since what IE say does not match up with what we are seeing here
Unread 12-10-2006, 13:34   #12
Philly
Regular Poster

Off the topic a bit here....

I'm heading back to Newbridge a bit late tonight. I searched the online timetable for trains from Heuston to Newbridge tonight and the one listed closest to the time I'll be heading home at is the 9pm Heuston / Cork. It stops at Kildare - where the timetable tells me a can hop out and wait for a train into Newbridge.

Does my monthly ticket cover this? I know I go past Newbridge, but the timetable offers it as a way to get into Newbridge and it would save me an hour or so of waiting around in Heuston. I'd also get to be in a MK4 for the first time!!

Anybody know if this journey is actually okay to do? Or is it just a dodgy online timetable? Would my ticket cover it?

Thanks.
Unread 12-10-2006, 13:57   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Since its a intercity journey you can break it in the middle

It is the most direct route for the given journey criteria. Highly unlikely you will encounter trouble, though having a copy of the printout from the website. We have reviewed the rules and it appears that IE would have a hard time issuing a penalty fare.

Imagine the fun we would have, IE fine passenger with ticket for a journey IE themselves told the passenger to take

21:00 is the new Mk4 train so enjoy
Unread 12-10-2006, 18:57   #14
Oisin88

I have gone Tullamore to Cork a few times. Some of the routes recommend going via Heuston, which I am more than happy to do because it means 1 stop instead of 2. Strangely enough Heuston-Cork is about €10 more than Tullamore-Cork.

I have had my ticket stamped in funny places and funny looks off the ticket checkers, but never been really challenged.

A few weeks ago was returning from Cork on a non-stop service when the ticket checker in Cork started scratching his head to tell me where to change.

Sometimes it's easier to do something and apologise than to ask about it first
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2006, 19:59   #15
Philly
Regular Poster

Ended up getting an earlier train, but I will definately be making this journey next week. I'll ring a print-off of the online timetable with me too. Think there will be any trouble? As far as I know it is in the charter that they have to provide you with the means to get to your destination as quickly as is possible, right? Can't wait to go on this MK4 I keep hearing so much about...
Unread 12-10-2006, 21:40   #16
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandraoh
how do i go directly to them?
Stephen Murphy
Southern & Western
Heuston Station,
Dublin.

Myles McHugh
Southern & Western
Heuston Station
Dublin.

Telephone: 01 703 1120 and ask or leave a message for either of them. Mention you're a member of P11 and demand a response to your complaint as a matter of urgency.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote