Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-12-2006, 17:14   #21
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Fact is the 22:45 could run the whole way to Cork its not needed again until 5:30 am

The lack of rolling stock was never a excuse

Then of course why the 22:45 can't run from Pearse, after all by the admissiion of Steve and Myles the railcars swap at night to go to Drogheda so again no reason why not

Now if I had €50,000 could charter a train every night for a month and charge you nothing
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 19:28   #22
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Now if I had €50,000 could charter a train every night for a month and charge you nothing
Never investing with you!
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 13:59   #23
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

I've had a driving licence for over 10 years, but I've never owned a car.

However, I do hire them on occasions when I need them. That amounted to 10 days in total at a cost of around E350, which is less than the insurance I'd pay on a car, never mind the maintenance, tax and derpreciation.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 23:37   #24
Derek Wheeler

Shock announcement!

P11 PR rep drives, drives and drives some more. In fact he is so car dependent its obscene. He lives in a two car household in a town that is totally car dependent. The local rail service is also car dependent which is why the car park is bursting at the seams.

I applaud those who can do without a car and encourage you to do your best to model your life in such a fashion that never requires one. A good friend of mine in his 40s never had a car and has a better quality of life than I have. Ireland doesn't facilitate this kind of lifestyle to the majority, so if you can make it work, then grab it with both hands.

Apart from having an interest in railways, the main reason I helped set up P11was because I knew from driving around this country how out of touch both Government and IE were at utilising the railway to make thousands of lives easier.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-12-2006, 18:06   #25
TomB

Being from the country I passed my test as soon as I could at 18.

I sold my first car when I moved to Africa, and didn't bother with one when I came back as I've always lived within 30 minutes walk of the centre of Dublin.

Having said all that, me and the wife (who also walks to work) bought a car early this year and it's brilliant. Part of it is a leisure thing, as I've always had a thing for classic minis, and after selling my first one I was heartbroken. The new mini is one of the later old-style ones and is absolutely fantastic (picture here!).

I've said before that I drive down to Limerick to visit the family now rather than get the train, and we'd seriously consider driving down to Cork to see the wife's family once they finish the N/M8. Fact is that unless you're trying to leave Dublin on Friday evening, it's quicker to take the train to Limerick now, which is part of the reason I get all touchy about the Limerick train stopping six times.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-12-2006, 00:53   #26
James Shields

I have a driving license and a car, but I would absolutely hate to have to drive it to work. I much prefer to take the train when I can, but unfortunately there are a lot of journeys that just can't be made without a car.

My car does sit outside my house for most of the week.

Maybe one day...
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-12-2006, 06:04   #27
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

The only time I ever need a car (other than taxis home) is when I'm doing my recycling. Ironic.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-12-2006, 17:37   #28
bigjim

Doing my test in January, pondering buying a car because I'm all over the place with college on placements.

Campaign for Luas from my house to multiple locations of my chosing? Any takers?
Unread 22-12-2006, 17:42   #29
sean

how long were you waiting for your driving test >_<
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-12-2006, 17:45   #30
bigjim

I applied last January, but got a letter from a private company in October (SGS) saying I could do it anytime in the following 6 weeks. I've been busy studying for part of my finals the last few months so decided to leave it till now.

EDIT - I'm in south Dublin
Unread 04-02-2007, 18:05   #31
John J
Regular Poster

I have a second provisional... don't know if that counts!
Need to get it sorted asap as the days of driving around on L's seem to be coming to an end.

I failed my last test for:
- not pulling out of a junction in front of a car that was indicating into the junction
- not moving beyond the white line at a green traffic light when the junction was blocked and a car was already at the centre of the junction waiting to turn right.

Despite committing the above life-threatening errors I'm still on the road, but have 2 applicaitons in for the test; a normal one applied for in Aug 2006 and a cancellation applied for in late Dec 2006.
I just hope I won't get Robocop himself for my next test!
John J is offline   Reply With Quote