Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-05-2007, 13:28   #1
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Thumbs down Clamping in Kilcock

from boards.ie http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055090147

Quote:
Proof nobody thinks about public transport in this country
Enfield train station has around 20 car park spaces. As usual, demand outstrips supply and every morning approx. 15 more have to park to the side of the station, along an entrance road to a housing estate. Not an ideal solution, but what choice is there (I should point out that I park there on occasion)?

This morning, out of the blue, they decide to implement clamping on this road. From what I hear, all 10-15 cars have been clamped. What the F**K are people supposed to do? Stay in their cars and continue on to Dublin? Go to Kilcock or Maynooth where there is even less car-parking?

At least in Leixlip Louisa Bridge, they built a brand-spanking new car-park and gave warnings to people who persisted in parking on the side of the road. A simple courtesy, not rocket science, just plain and simple manners.

So to the morons in Meath Co. Co. that decided to do this in the run up to election, would you mind taking a step back and think about what you are doing? Think of the extra cars on the road, think of the 12-15 pissed off voters who are in for a shock this evening, think of the stupidity of what you have just done, think of the repercussions of your actions.

Think.

/rant
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 17:20   #2
Redsoxfan
New to the board

There's a thread on Askaboutmoney asking whether or not clamping is enforced in an Enfield housing estate (there are signs up to that effect apparently).

When I lived in Portmarnock, our development was regularly used as a Park 'n' Ride facility, despite yellow lines, clamping notices etc. We paid for the upkeep and maintenance of the place, not the council taxpayers etc. Despite warnings, people contiuned to park there.

So, informing people in advance that clamping is in operation doesn't mean that they will pay attention.

I rarely see more than one person in a car driving in/out of a train station car park. Likewise for people parking aorund stations.

When I lived in Portmarnock, I met with the local councillor and enquired as to the possibility of getting a bus to serve the station at peak times. There were proposals to merge the 102 and 230 routes, but Dublin Bus refused to run any further services.

I drive to Maynooth station (I park on the road approaching the Harbour Field) when the weather is bad (it takes around 25 minutes). It's a public road. If they decided to put down double yellow lines, it would be understandable, as it makes the road a one-way system most of the time. If this happened, I would have to get up earlier and try and park in the station, or get a bike, or just walk all the time. I wouldn't resort to parking in a housing estate.

In short, I don't believe people should expect to get parking at stations where demand outstrips supply for free. Scarcity impiles you will have to pay-but that hasn't gone down too well. Residents living near stations should have to right to 'enjoy' their development without having it used as a car park. People shouldn't park on kerbs etc. or anywhere else where it is dangerous or an incovenience to others.

I don't think there are easy answers. Shuttle buses would be a good idea-but would likely have to be subsidised. I would pay for parking, but many others may not feel the same way.

In the Boards thread, the guy/gal says

Quote:
15 more have to park to the side of the station, along an entrance road to a housing estate. Not an ideal solution, but what choice is there
Did people think about this when they decided to buy a place to live in Enfield, i.e. how they would get to the station, how much parking there was etc?

Quote:
Go to Kilcock or Maynooth where there is even less car-parking?
I dunno what the situation is in Kilcock, but I would say that Maynooth is fairly well served for parking, if you are prepared to get their before 7.30/45.

Quote:
At least in Leixlip Louisa Bridge, they built a brand-spanking new car-park and gave warnings to people who persisted in parking on the side of the road.
Are they aware that this is a pay car park?

Last edited by Redsoxfan : 09-05-2007 at 17:27.
Redsoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 20:42   #3
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

In Rush & Lusk, IE built a new car park last year. Previous to this, as I've pointed out here before, cars parked in the car parks in both sides of the line in designated spots and in the centre of the carpark perpendicular to the marked spots.
The new car park was built, and has less than 75% of the amount of spaces that could fit on the land taken to build the car park.
This new carpark has an island in the middle but only parking on one side of the island despite there being ample room for parking spaces to have been marked out on both sides. muppetry.

anyway back to the clamping in Enfield.
In fairness Enfield is the last stop before Mullingar which is a long way away. It is also only one of three stations serving the whole of Co. Meath. and I only pointred it out in case members were affected by this.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 22:11   #4
Redsoxfan
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmd View Post
anyway back to the clamping in Enfield.
In fairness Enfield is the last stop before Mullingar which is a long way away. It is also only one of three stations serving the whole of Co. Meath. and I only pointred it out in case members were affected by this.
Fair enough-I wasn't having a go, just making some comments based on observations over the past 3-4 years.

I wonder were there double yellow lines in place where the clamping occured? That would seem to serve 'fair warning' to me that you could be subject to some kind of penalty....

Sorry if this thread was only started as a 'FYI'-if so, I'll hold me tongue!
Redsoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote