Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-05-2008, 14:41   #1
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

God only knows the places you visit, I have never ever had nor seen any hassle through out Europe or UK, only at Heuston Station in the mornings ie. 500 people herded through 1 exit by Irish Rail staff supported by these thugs. A better solution are validation machines, no one can pick a row with one!!!
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 08:13   #2
Laois Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainne whale View Post
God only knows the places you visit, I have never ever had nor seen any hassle through out Europe or UK, only at Heuston Station in the mornings ie. 500 people herded through 1 exit by Irish Rail staff supported by these thugs. A better solution are validation machines, no one can pick a row with one!!!
I quoted examples, and they are by no means isolated. Nottingham is a large city in the East Midlands of the UK; the Chesterfield incident was on an Arriva service from the north east to BIrmingham and beyond. True, you cannot "pick a row" with machines, but you can vault over the gates (seen Fenchurch St, London, in 2007). There also has to be a member of staff there in case tickets don't read correctly, or someone has luggage, or a pushchair, or is in a wheelchair. That person can be abused / threatened, and will often just let such people through rather than be attacked.

In the checks I have come across at Heuston, the main crush is caused by people rushing to be first off (the same as the rush for the car park at Newbrisge and Portarlington in the evening). I have strolled at a normal walking pace from the back of the train, and been delayed less than 30 seconds. That to me is acceptable. I also am gald that people are being forced to pay. There are many who try it on, and board the train without a ticket in the hope of getting away with it.

LC
Laois Commuter is offline   Reply With Quote