Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 18-09-2012, 10:40   #21
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
Just a co-incidence or perhaps this forum has a wide and diverse readership?

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...s-3229651.html

civil servants dont make policy, interesting method of the government avoiding responsibility for a cut.

and yes, you would be surprised who reads this forum.
Unread 19-09-2012, 14:40   #22
JayneM
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
Mostly it's filling empty capacity, but I would restrict it on trains leaving Dublin between 4:30 and 7 in the evening, especially on a Friday.

It's galling to be on the 5 o'clock to Cork and see some old fella get on with 90 seconds to go and getting a seat from someone who has paid €77 for the privilege an taken their seat 15 minutes previously. I've even seen people give up reserved seats in those circumstances.
I have to say I agree with the idea of restricting peak time travel and the sentiments expressed. I had a colleague recently who had reserved a seat on a train traveling out of Dublin in the morning (i am afraid i don't remember exacty the destination but he was travelling for work purposes) and had also broken his arm the weekend before. When he got on there was an old lady sitting in the seat and, given the social stigma he felt he couldn't ask her to move. So having paid for his reservation he spent the entire hour long journey on his feet.
JayneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-09-2012, 14:50   #23
JayneM
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDough View Post
What is country coming to lashing out at the disabled an Oaps whose only enjoyment is free travel on mostly empty trains and buses ,it sounds like sour grapes to me as there is a very low cost to Gov. as mostly used off peak!
As for the person who dislikes giving up their paid seat to a oldie that is just pathetic as they must have never been taught manners by their parents as this would be common courtesy by normal standards.Try to take away these passes then the Grey brigade will swing in to action and we all know what happenned before!
John, I just noticed your comment there and would like to say that I was certaily tought manners by my parents and have given up my seat on many occassions to an elderly person. However, I agree with the sentiments expressed by those who resent giving up their paid seat at peak times. I am currently 7 months pregnant, working full time in a job that has me on my feet most of the day. At the moment I try to turn up early in order to get a seat on the journey home if possible, but I have to say the looks I have got if an 'ol' wan', to use the colloquial term, happens to hop on just after me when I have nabbed the last seat.
JayneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-09-2012, 21:52   #24
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Over the last while I have noticed staff in particular at Connolly asking for ID and the lot from people with passes and only yesterday sombody was caught out and reported by them.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote