Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 14-06-2006, 14:25   #1
Kevin K Kelehan

Default Cowen on Infrastructure

Quote:
Cowen urges spending for future generations
Wednesday, 14th June, 2006

There must be a major programme of infrastructural investment before it is too late, Minister for Finance Brain Cowen warned today.

He told Oireachtas Committee on Finance and Public Service that by 2050, the increase in the ratio of over-65s in the State will mean "increased pressures across a range of age-related expenditure".

Mr Cowen said: "These costs will be very significant ... We must therefore use this window of opportunity to transform our infrastructure to world class standards."

He was outlining plans for the next National Development Plan (NDP) to cover 2007 - 2013, which he said would be published in November.

Signalling a shift in emphasis away from roads investment, Mr Cowen said "a radical enhancement of our public transport network in the Greater Dublin Area (GDA)" was needed.

He said an "accelerated level of investment" was required because "we simply have no choice".

"Already the city is suffering from intolerable congestion at peak times."

"It is simply unsustainable environmentally and otherwise to rely on the car and the bus network alone to provide the answer.

"In my view, if we do not invest at the planned level the result will be a further loss in competitiveness, serious deterioration in our environment and a lower quality of life for our citizens."

Investment in GDA would not be at the expense of regional development, Mr Cowen said, but he insisted that the capital's financial growth benefited the regions.

While saying the goals of the National Spatial Strategy would form the basis of regional development, he indicated the investment must be focused. He noted the economic benefits enjoyed by regions adjacent to developing regions.

"We must avoid the development of a narrow localised mindset and try to ensure an integrated prioritised approach to regional development.

"In particular unnecessary and wasteful duplication of infrastructure provision should be avoided."

Education was also key to future competitiveness, particularly in the area of research and development. He said the Government was committed "a quantum leap forward" to make Ireland a world leader.

Measures to increase the level of third-level participation and upskilling would be required as part of the process of developing a knowledge based economy.

Other areas of focus in the next NDP were: social and affordable housing, health, energy, broadband and childcare.

He insisted that all spending plans were contingent on the state of the public finances at the time and mindful of the cost overruns in recent infrastructural projects said value for money was "central to NDP investment, especially capital investment".

He said there will be ongoing programme evaluation of investment and an annual progress report and laid before the Houses of the Oireachtas for debate.

A real change or predictable pre-election spin for the masses?
Unread 14-06-2006, 14:29   #2
why_does_planning_suck
Regular Poster

a bit of both ? One thought comes to mind. It is enevitable that transport spendings moves from roads to public transport as the motorway network is more than half done. Indeed it would appear that the rest could be done in the next three years.

The devil is in the detail , as always!
Unread 14-06-2006, 15:33   #3
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Sure by 2050 most of Ireland will be in the GDA and we'll have DART to Thurles.
Unread 14-06-2006, 17:18   #4
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

hey don't knock it, Thurles heuston is possible faster than the length of the dart line.....
Unread 14-06-2006, 19:31   #5
philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K Kelehan
A real change or predictable pre-election spin for the masses?
Depends on Cowen's audience. If it was a general piece for nationwide consumption then I'd say there's less electioneering in it than you might think-afterall it's never popular to remind those west of the Shannon that Dublin's economy is the beating heart of the national economy, which was clearly stated by Cowen in the piece.

I like Cowen. I don't like him enough to outweigh how much I hate the rest of FF however.
Unread 14-06-2006, 23:05   #6
Mark

"In particular unnecessary and wasteful duplication of infrastructure provision should be avoided."

WRC v Atlantic Corridor, Luas link up v Metro? Or am I not reading into that properly..
Unread 15-06-2006, 08:21   #7
Kevin K Kelehan

A list of duplicate projects should be assembled starting with the two you mentioned with the possible addition of

1. Dublin Outer ring road & Orbital Metro
  2. Dublin Eastern Bypass & DART/Luas Point Extension
Unread 15-06-2006, 10:04   #8
Mark

Interestingly enough, the Luas link up, due for completion in 2008, has gone quiet, very quiet indeed since the route options came out November 2005. Considering metro north route options have come, Cherrywood has gone through PI, Point depot line is at PI and Citywest has gone in for RWO it looks like the luas link up might be under scrutiny at a higher level. Maybe that or maybe not. It was always seen as Cullen's pet project. Personally, if it doesn't get build by 2008 I wouldn't be too bothered as long as the metro comes in on time but I suspect construction synchronising would be needed. Would be the most obvious example of duplication.

Another one would be rail commuter services to Tuam from Galway and the Galway - Tuam dual carriageway which I would presume will have more attractive journey times by bus.

Last edited by Mark : 15-06-2006 at 10:07.
Unread 15-06-2006, 10:51   #9
James Shields

How far would the 80m esimated cost of the Luas link-up go towards the Stephen's Green-Charlemont Metro surfacing at Iveagh Gardens? I could live without the linkup if it meant we'd get a joined-up Metro from Swords to Cherrywood in 2012.
Unread 21-06-2006, 23:48   #10
Alan G
New to the board

Live with it, I'd jump at it. A much more logical rail layout and better use of resources.

It would certainly be better to do the extra tunnelling now than go through a lengthy and disruptive process further down the line.
Unread 22-06-2006, 18:10   #11
Oisin88

Talking Clara Cowen

Quote from above: "We must avoid the development of a narrow localised mindset and try to ensure an integrated prioritised approach to regional development."

Interestingly Mr Cowen is credited with the Dublin-Galway trains occasionally stopping at Clara metropolis. Fair enough though I did write to him when I was pissed of at the crap service to Tullamore "against the flow"
Closed Thread