Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 11-07-2006, 00:11   #1
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Default Fire Brigade put out train on fire

Quote:
Fire on train in Dublin is extinguished

10 July 2006 20:54

Dublin Fire Brigade has dealt with a fire on a train at Castleknock Station.

Flames were seen coming from the underside of one of the carriages this evening.

Dublin Fire Brigade was called to the scene and extinguished the fire.
Advertisement

No one was injured.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0710/train.html

I wonder is this the same type of incident as happened before on the Drogheda line when the passengers jumped out onto the opposite track?
Unread 11-07-2006, 05:57   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Oh dear its without a doubt was a 29000, the previous incident was a mechanical failure and there was no fire, it remains to be seen of the facts of what happened the first report on the Skerries incident had flames when it was shown later that it was a fabrication

Can't find a report in any of todays papers nor in their breaking news section, 98fm are carrying it

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 11-07-2006 at 06:34.
Unread 11-07-2006, 09:01   #3
James Shields

In the Skerries incident, I spoke to eye witnesses who said they had seen flames, and I got a strong smell of smoke just before the train stopped. I don't accept it was a fabrication - people honestly believed they saw flames, and that is what was reported.

I think the explanation may be that some fuel got sprayed onto a hot surface and ignited, causing a flash that was seen by passengers.

The passengers I spoke to were the sensible ones who moved to the coach behind, rather than bailing onto the tracks into the path of the Enterprise.

I hope we'll get more details of what happened in Castleknock. It's still only the second serious failure of a 2900 in nearly three years of service, which it not bad going.
Unread 11-07-2006, 11:13   #4
clubcrown
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcarpark
I hope we'll get more details of what happened in Castleknock. It's still only the second serious failure of a 2900 in nearly three years of service, which it not bad going.
I was on the train in question yesterday. We stopped in castleknock to let people off as per usual, and just as they closed the doors to take off again, theres was a bang, which sounded to me like the engine cutting out.

Sat there for a couple more minutes, and then people started to get off; a lot get off at Coolmine anyway, so most were prepared to walk.

I went down along the platform and the driver was in the back, pushing buttons; someone in front of me asked him was it worth waiting, he said no, then I said he should make an announcement but he said "i already f*cking did that, I don't want 600 people asking me the same question allthe time". Charming as always - but there was no announcement, so god knows what he was on about. Maybe the speakers were out too.

I didn't see any flames or anything else, but 2 fire tenders and an ambulance appeared at that point.

A good 15 mins after we stopped there was still about 200 people sitting on the train, so any fire/evacuation procedures they may have weren't very effective. No sign of any staff other than the driver.
Unread 11-07-2006, 12:50   #5
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
I said he should make an announcement but he said "i already f*cking did that, I don't want 600 people asking me the same question allthe time". Charming as always - but there was no announcement, so god knows what he was on about. Maybe the speakers were out too.
They were probably on fire.
Unread 11-07-2006, 13:03   #6
clubcrown
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp
They were probably on fire.

In fairness to the lad, he looked pretty stressed. They should have someone else on the platform telling people to move off the train though.

Something else amusing; the 3 firemen who arrived off the tender, had a very quick look under the carriage and then stood on the other track having a smoke. They legged it when the fire chief arrived.

You gotta love ireland sometimes
Unread 11-07-2006, 13:24   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Sounds like a repeat performance of the connecting rod failure

Back in the early days the 29000 had a serious design flaw in the exhaust system where the engine didn't get enough oxygen which lead to a thick exhaust made things look bad. What did happen in Skerries was a failed connecting rod in the engine which led to a piston being thrown out what was actually seen was hot exhaust gases which probably did ignite for a moment or two, its the equivalent of getting a flame out the exhaust of a high performance car. If you do a full emergency stop without the hydraulic retarders you get a really horrible burning smell since the brake disks heat up. The radiator system was holed in Skerries so there was a lot of smoke from the cooling water. The fire suppression system did not trigger, the driver did not manually activate it and he didn't empty the hand fire extinguisher either. If the fire system triggered anyone trackside would have been knee deep in foam, no foam was reported. The train didn't go on fire, it suffered a well understood mechanical failure most people are sheep and don't understand the facts and will make it sound much worse

No photos or credible evidence of a real actual fire, if there was a real fire the fire suppression system would have been triggered or manually activiated. Its operating policy to request the fire brigade attend just in case the previous post suggests there was no fire since there was no hurry, I've seen what a real fire does to a train and there wouldn't be much left of the coach if it had gone up

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 11-07-2006 at 13:27.
Unread 11-07-2006, 13:50   #8
James Shields

From Clubcrown's description, this incident sounds very similar to the Skerries one. It doesn't sound like the fire suppression system activated here either, and the train would probably have been fit to continue with that engine shut down once the fire brigade had checked it out.

Mark, all I'm saying is that the people I spoke to believed they had seen flames, so as far as I am concerned, that part of the story is not a fabrication. It was dodgy reporting that made the leap from "people saw flames" to "the train was on fire".
Unread 11-07-2006, 14:06   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Thats the problem no one checks the facts

Said train will get a new engine and will be back in service for tonight or tomorrow. The engines are being refurbished currently so could be a failure of a refurbished model since such failures normal occur at lowish engine hours or at extremes
Unread 11-07-2006, 15:46   #10
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Default move if this is OT re: smoke

I was getting a 29k from Rush and Lusk to Connolly at lunchtime yesterday.
When we were stoppine at the stations along the way there was a good amount of smoke/dust/whatever coming from the side of the train.
I was in the third car (wheelchair toilet one)of a 4 car train, the smoke /whatever seemed to be coming from in front of the carriage's forward doors on the non-platform side going south, so would have been platformside goint north or west.
never noticed this before maybe this was the same set that failed later. I imagine it may have looked "on Fire" if it was much worse than what I saw.
Closed Thread