Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 21-09-2006, 08:22   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default [21-9-2006] Grand Canal Dock

Yet another passenger decided to collapse (As usual one female, mid 20's) on a northbound train and hold everyone up, delays of up to 18 minutes to northbound services. Overcrowding levels well below crush levels

Unrelated 10-15 minutes delays going south as well

Nothing on IE site
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-09-2006, 10:49   #2
al2637

No announcement until North bound DARTs were already 10mins late (display was showing 8 minutes for about 5 mins).

Initial announcement said delay was due to 'Awaiting ambulance at Grand Canal Dock". Automated announcement saying same followed soon after.

10mins later a manual announcement was made saying it was due to a Signalling Failure at Landsdowne Road. Several announcements (manual and automated) followed saying same.

So which was it?

Also, when I got to Connolly, the next DART was showing as 8 minutes on the display. Is this possible if it hadn't left GCD? It seems to show 6 when it's in Tara Street.

Something doesn't seem to add up.
al2637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-09-2006, 11:08   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I was on the 8:05 ex Greystones which was running under green signals but was about 4 minutes down for reasons unknown before the farce began

I had to step out at Sydney Parade to let people out and spotted a train ahead in Sandymount, we then stopped outside Sandymount for 6 minutes, no PA made, train rolls into Sandymount, there is a broadcast message to all drivers didn't get most of it but Lansdowne was mentioned.

We then got PA of passenger ill at GCD, we then rolled off and stopped outside Lansdowne for a bout 3 minutes and then strangely normal service into Pearse with a green signal

I can confirm 1 female passenger being cared for by Dublin Fire Brigade Ambulance personnel on platform 2 GCD, passenger sitting up on platform bench not in any way distressed, passenger loadings on the DART northbound reach peak between Blackrock and Booterstown, beyond Sandymount you loose a awful lot of people so I can't understand a passenger collapsing in GCD

After the Maynooth train due through Pearse at 8:50 nothing went south for a good 15 minutes. One question is did they send a northbound train wrong line through GCD to overtake, if they didn't they should have
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-09-2006, 20:35   #4
al2637

I think they must have run some on the wrong side of the track as Southbound trains were being delayed in Connolly while a group of Northbound trains came through. (Dundalk, and then 2 DARTs).

There was an announcement on the soutbound ones (didn't hear it all), and a lot of passengers got off and decided to walk.

I don't think it takes crush load for the atmosphere to become uncomfortable anymore. I was on the 8:19 (Castleknock) on Wednesday, it was busy, but it wasn't THAT packed, but VERY hot and stuffy. There was NO aircon working, and only the two small windows to let air in. When we stopped outside Connolly for 10 mins people were fanning themselves with Metro and Herald AM to keep cool. Not a pleasant situation.
al2637 is offline   Reply With Quote