Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Waterford
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 21-07-2011, 21:32   #1
Coolperson05
New to the board

Default Commuting Dublin to Waterford

Hi everyone,

Firstly feel free to move this if it is in the wrong category. Starting in September, I am starting teaching in a secondary school in Waterford (my hometown) and moving to Dublin to do a masters part time. I only teach 3 days a week for half days hence the move to Dublin, I've many more opportunities there to further my studies.

I will need a 4 trains+ a week. 2 up and 2 back over approx 4 days. Other weeks I may need more, I'm waiting to see how split living is! I will be a student and I would need at least the Luas add on to my ticket, if not a rambler ticket for all of Dublin (money dependant).

Is such a combi ticket possible? Like a 10 trip train ticket? Or student rambler for this journey? I'm just wondering what my options are aside from 15euro a ticket at the station!

Many thanks for your help in advance!!
Coolperson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-07-2011, 22:00   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Some options

34.50 or 27.00 return Waterford Dublin depending on the day of the week or 25.50 as student. There are online tickets from 10 euro each way but you have to plan ahead. Luas add on from Heuston - Connolly is available on these

There is a 4 day trekker ticket for 100 euro which is valid for 4 consecutive days for all rail journeys anywhere not good on Luas

Weekly and Monthly student tickets Waterford Dublin including the Luas add on are available but the pricing on those might not be as good as you might hope for. In theory Waterford to Dun Laoghaire for example as a student monthly ticket is possible. Monthly tickets are valid for any journey within the start/end points for Waterford Dublin is also good Kilkenny Athy for example

Depending on your employer you might want to look at the all Irish Rail service and Dublin Bus annual ticket at 3,800 euro or Irish Rail + Luas for 4,100 euro but you would get tax relief on that of up to 52%. That might not be workable in your case but its normally the cheapest option. There are no student annual tickets.

Note there is a qualifying criteria for the student travel card in terms of hours per week. Rarely enforced but check
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-07-2011, 22:10   #3
Coolperson05
New to the board

Many thanks for your quick reply. The best option there sounds the Student monthly tickets with the luas/bus. How do you get a price on that? Like the one you had for Dun Laoghaire? I have good friends in Newbridge and thus would like to be able to hop down to them on occasion too!

Also the taxsaver website doesnt have Waterford as a station!
Coolperson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-07-2011, 23:39   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Taxsaver tickets are available between any two stations. Any combination not in the system can be added. There are over 200 stations on the Island so only the most popular are shown.

For the monthly student price complete this form
http://www.irishrail.ie/contact_us/c...es_queries.asp

What we can say is the fare exists
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-07-2011, 11:08   #5
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Surprising to see a "commuting TO Waterford" thread - not many folks find a first arrival of 0943 useful.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-07-2011, 19:22   #6
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I don't think student tickets are available on taxsaver though.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote