Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-02-2007, 19:46   #1
TomB

Default Returning back from different station

Hi Folks,

This weekend I'll be travelling down on Friday to Cork and coming back up to civilisation on Sunday from Millstreet.

Normally, we just buy a return ticket to Cork, and have never had any problems from IE ticket checkers for getting on at Millstreet.

My question is: is this strictly within IE terms and conditions? Or could we theoretically be charged with fare evasion for not having a ticket valid for travel?

I thought this had come up before on these forums but a search revealed naught...
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 19:57   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its buried in page 29 of the Terms and Conditions of Travel, http://www.platform11.org/resources/...riage_2004.pdf

Quote:
Subject to paragraph 1.2 to facilitate passengers travelling to/from final destinations that are between railway lines ordinary single and return tickets will be interchangeable between adjacent routes as set out in the table below
Purchased for Valid on routes
Dublin/Cork Dublin Limerick/Tralee/Waterford

All routes are listed

1.2 is the Nenagh branch rules

Return Dublin Cork is €61, return Dublin Millstreet is €61

So you are fine. If you meet a ignorant ticket checker be sure to take names
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2007, 08:16   #3
TomB

Thanks for that Mark. Might be a useful bit of information to put on the P11 site: http://www.platform11.org/passenger_info/ticketing.php

Now of course what would be really useful is if I could book a seat on the Cork train down, and then change my booking so that my ticket is valid on the Millstreet service coming back up, and book a seat on the Mallow-Dublin leg.

But I'm not sure I have the energy for dealing with the soviet-style shenanigans at Abbey Street today!
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 14:54   #4
Oisin88

Can anyone tell me, does this work for annual tickets too?
I have an annual Heuston to Tullamore. I have to go to Portlaoise next month, which is a shorter distance from Dublin, so can I use the ticket, or just get a Portalington-Portlaoise ticket??
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 15:04   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Only applies to normal single and returns
Unread 10-02-2007, 16:54   #6
James Shields

Am I right to assume that a point-to-point annual ticket covers you for anywhere in a direct line between the start and endpoints on the ticket?
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 18:17   #7
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcarpark View Post
Am I right to assume that a point-to-point annual ticket covers you for anywhere in a direct line between the start and endpoints on the ticket?
This would mean that I could get a ticket from Portarlington to wherever as Port is in between Tullamore & Heuston.
(I have gotten away with this in the past)
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 01:21   #8
James Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin88 View Post
This would mean that I could get a ticket from Portarlington to wherever as Port is in between Tullamore & Heuston.
(I have gotten away with this in the past)
Mark may correct me on this, but I think technically you have to get off at Portarlingon and get back on again for that to be valid, but it sounds perfectly reasonable to me (there aren't too many branches off the Drogheda line for me to try the same thing).
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 08:36   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

One since its a intercity ticket it is valid for journeys between all stations within the limit so Dublin Portarlington is fine on a Dublin Tullamore ticket

There is a clause saying you can't rebook at a intermediate station as to continue traveling on the same train, now IE are cool with it provided you don't save any money by doing it. We have discovered a immense number of journeys where you can save money by using two tickets

Its not an offence in law and once you step off in Portarlington and put your feet on the safe side of the yellow line and reboard on a different ticket you technically have started a second journey, since what lies beyond the yellow line is owned by the property section where as the edge is the civil engineers.

Really no one cares just get the Portlaois Portarlington single