Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 04-03-2007, 22:40   #1
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Default 2:30pm (Sunday) ex Cork - Arrived VERY early.

I came up on the 2:30pm Cork-Dublin CDE service and got in almost 15 mins early. It seemed to go flat out from Thurles to Dublin.

Can't really say I have any complaints, ride was as good as MK3 only quiter. Internal doors worked, staff were friendly, train was spotless, catering worked fine. PIS worked flawlessly and the seat reservation seemed to be working (although I walked on on a return ticket).

It does show up how much padding there is in the timetable. Even with the 201s going flat out that train could easily shave 15 to 20 mins off most of the timetabled trips. They really need to look into getting more out of those trains.

I also had to pick someone up from the 17:30 CDE
It was timetabled to arrive at 20:20, it pulled in to Heuston just after 20:00 !! i.e. it took about 2h30.
Unread 04-03-2007, 23:28   #2
Derek Wheeler

It's always great to get good news like this. Thanks X. There is no doubt that padding is rampant and I agree we could get more out of these trains if we tried and if they could perform well on a regular basis. However, user and operator experience tends to suggest that these trains display a consistant trend of problems rather than satisfactory operation. I certainly don't want to be the purveyor of doom, but we cannot escape the reality of essentially new kit operating below par, despite good news stories as posted by the reliable Mr. X.
Unread 05-03-2007, 00:05   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If the Mk4 and 201 are in fully working condition it can really really shift I've seen some fairly outstanding 0 to 100 mph performances that would give the UK IC 125 a scare. I've be 15 minutes early in against the 2006 timetable in a Mk4, been 10 down to arrive 5 up all in the space of Thurles Dublin

Problem is its not reproducible, trains leave Heuston 5, 10 even 15 minutes down due to coach problems, the locomotives go through mood swings and can be slow and that can cost 10-15 minutes a trip. The signalman in Heuston can send you around the place and not give the quickest route out of P5 which is round the front of the shed, the computer favours the slower back of shed route.

Also you need a old school driver who drives to the limit, easy spot one there are those who take a cautious approach to a station stop by applying the brakes several times and then there are those who brake hard in one smooth movement and stop.

Just wait till the IC railcars arrive they will decimate the Dublin Limerick all stops timing. On paper a 29000 suburban railcar can do Dublin Cork with 3 stops in 2:45. Non stop the 1950's era railcars could do it in 2:35

When I pointed this out to a IE manager that a 67 year old steam engine, Maedhbh could beat the 2007 times, I was told 'thats a bit harsh' but the reality is a museum piece could beat the times

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 05-03-2007 at 21:16.
Unread 05-03-2007, 00:21   #4
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Could the CDE upgrade with a single powercar i.e. just a pointy 125mph loco in place of the 201 ?

i.e. would there be any major disadvantage to that?

e.g. if they were to just move to the 201's younger faster sibling?

Obviously two power cars would be more reliable and have better traction. But would it be that big a difference?

Also, is there any possibility that the DVT has been designed to take an engine ?
It looks like it has had serious vents designed into the body shell that are blanked out.

Last edited by MrX : 05-03-2007 at 00:23.
Unread 05-03-2007, 00:32   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Not going to get into the technical end but without the track being fixed it won't help much

DVT is just carries the parcels and a pair of generators, not upgradeable

End of the day there is a list of issues most of which can be fixed, its time to start knocking things off the list

Item 1: Remove from service 1 Mk4 set for detailed inspection & rectification. While they are at it they might fix the suspension since it still rubbish in all but one set

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 05-03-2007 at 00:44.
Unread 05-03-2007, 10:33   #6
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

My Cork train due in 1320 on Saturday Heuston got in at.... 13.05.
Unread 05-03-2007, 21:27   #7
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

But how bad will it get when the KRP is in full swing?
Closed Thread