Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information > Concerts and Sport Specials
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-02-2009, 14:50   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default [11-2-2009] Ireland v Georgia at Croke Park

Quote:
General News
Ireland V Georgia Travel Arrangements by Marketing Department

World Cup Qualifier
Ireland V Georgia
Croke Park KO. 19.45

Iarnród Éireann are expecting a significant number of soccer supporters to travel by train to Dublin for the Ireland V Georgia World Cup Qualifier on Wednesday the 11th of February.

To accommodate Soccer supporters travelling to and from Dublin to see Ireland V Georgia in Croke Park on Wednesday the 11th of January, Iarnród Éireann have provided an additional service after the match for Cork and Limerick customers.

Supporters have the flexibility to travel outward on any available train and return on an additional train service to Cork or and Limerick at 23.00.

Dept. Heuston 23.00
Arr. Limerick Junction 00.36 (change for a connection to Limerick) Arr. Limerick 01.10
Charleville arr. 00.58
Mallow arr. 01.13
Cork arr. 01.39

Iarnród Éireann advise that there is limited capacity on this return train from Dublin and are strongly advising supporters to book their travel in advance to avoid disappointment on the day. It is expected that these return services will be sold out before the weekend.

Train tickets are now available online - click here to book now
Also note the 23:00 Heuston - Kildare is deferred to 23:10
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-02-2009, 04:03   #2
on the move
Regular Poster

Like to add my own experience or lack of one, travelling to the Ireland game last week.

On matchnight, Dublin is a car park at rush hour, so the only worthwhile way of travelling to Croke Park is via Luas and IE. I came into Tara Street at 7pm bang on time for the Drumcondra-Maynooth train, or so I thought. On one of the busiest nights on the line of the year, it was announced that due to a signal failure at Coolmine, there would be an indefinite delay for the next Maynooth train. About 10 minutes later, it was announced that the train would be delayed until 7.30pm. As I waited patiently for the 7.30 delayed service, it was announced that it would be delayed for a further 20 minutes, leaving me and anyone else going to the game with little choice but to make our own way to the game, and on matchnight, that basically means on foot, given the level of traffic congestion. Instead of arriving in a half hour before ko, I made it in 10 minutes late.

I simply can't understand that having being made aware of the signal failure, why IE couldn't have sent a train or two from Inchicore through the Phoenix Park tunnel over to the Connolly line in order to cope with the demand. On matchnights in Lansdowne Road, special trains going from the city centre to Lansdowne were a regular and welcome occurrence. And I don't know why there are not similiar services on the Maynooth line given the extra capacity at Croke Park, and hence more demand.

On a vaguely related point, it is my belief that on these matchdays in all sports played at Croke Park, why trains from Galway, Cork, and Limerick, etc, don't depart and arrive at Connolly, given it's proximity to the stadium. The services that depart from Heuston merely add to the stress for passengers. The Phoenix Park tunnel should be used to cope with the extra services and heavier demand required. All it takes is a bit of common sense to be used for everyone's benefit.
Unread 20-02-2009, 20:26   #3
Oisin88

I can't believe anyone would take the train from Connolly to Drumcondra for a match. 1.6 Km, 20 minutes walk, and that is if you are going to the hill end.

That having been said, what do you expect?
Unread 20-02-2009, 22:47   #4
Jack O'Neill
Regular Poster

As Oisín said the best way to Croke Park from a Dart perspective is to

1 - Get off at Connolly
2 - Turn right out of Connolly and after the railway bridge turn left up Buckingham Street and Right at the top to Summerhill.

For the Cusack Stand and Hill 16 continue straight on over the canal and second left "Foster Terrace" brings you on to St James Avenue and the Cusack Stand and the Hill.

For the Hogan / Davin / Nally Stands turn left at Summerhill up the NCR until you come to Gills Pub on the corner of Jones Road and turn right.

Coming back is the reverse (but is quicker as it's downhill and there's a rush for the trains)
Jack O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-02-2009, 08:30   #5
on the move
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin88
I can't believe anyone would take the train from Connolly to Drumcondra for a match. 1.6 Km, 20 minutes walk, and that is if you are going to the hill end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the move
On matchnight, Dublin is a car park at rush hour, so the only worthwhile way of travelling to Croke Park is via Luas and IE. I came into Tara Street at 7pm bang on time for the Drumcondra-Maynooth train, or so I thought.
The bold parts are important.

You would only walk as a last resort. IE should provide a service to get from A to B, in the quickest time with the minimum of fuss.

You could walk from Tara Street to Lansdowne in the time games were played there, but few did. The walk wastes time, and is considerable hassle/inconvenience if you're not au fait with the area or in bad weather.
Unread 22-02-2009, 21:26   #6
Oisin88

I live near Heuston and walk to Croker anytime. It is always faster. Having grown up in Dublin, public transport has never really been an option if there is any change in direction involved.

Also used to walk to Lansdowne, and will do so again next year probably, despite the distance.