Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-05-2006, 09:58   #1
Mark

Default North Leinster Towns Street Map

Ordnance Survey have released a new street map covering towns such as Drogheda, Navan, Slane, Naas, Skerries etc.

Last edited by Mark : 16-05-2006 at 20:23.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-05-2006, 12:19   #2
James Shields

About time too. Been looking for something like that for years. Where can I get a copy?

My only quibble is that they're making us pay a tenner or more when most people only need their local townland. It would be nice to have individual town maps available for a couple of Euro a pop.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-05-2006, 12:22   #3
Mark

All over, I saw it in Easons.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-05-2006, 13:56   #4
James Shields

Got it.

It's well put together and beautifully put together, but I just have three complaints...

1. On the inside page, it shows north Leinster with red dots indicating the towns included in the map, and a contests listing of the page numbers the maps are on. I would like if it showed wittle rectangles showing the actual pages to scale. Some of the town maps connect to each other, so it would be nice to see this visually.

2. Where maps join there is no overlap, which can be a bit of a nuscience. It would be nice to have just a couple of cm around the edges so you're not constantly flipping pages.

3. Some towns run over a number of pages, but there are no arrows at the page edges indicating which map to flip to. This would be especially useful where different town maps join up or overlap, such as Drogheda and Bettystown. Even if there was a gap between the maps it would still be useful to indicate there's a continuation when you're trying to follow a road.

Sorry this isn't very relevant to P11. Maybe I'll mail these suggestions to the OS.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-05-2006, 10:00   #5
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

lcp,
I asked in the OS map shop about a 1km overlap on the 1:50,000 sheets.
not gonna happen I was told.
There road atlas has a small overlap though. has every boreen in the country on it, it's good alright.

btw Croagh Patrick is on .....4 1:50,000 sheets, right in the corner.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-05-2006, 10:53   #6
philip

Yeah I was looking at this in Eason's last week. It's pretty good but in general I find OS maps dreadully out of date. They are the agency compiling all this data yet the AA road maps are more up to date wrt new road schemes etc. he OS are still showing the SE mnotorway as under construction. Bit annoying that. Also, the OS maps still show the bloody Cashel bypass (a motorway standard dual carriageway) as a single carriageway stretch. Very poor mapping.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote